The Basement.

As the edge of the woods comes into his view, the song ends. He breaks through the last bit of brush into the clearing of his back yard to see that she is no longer sitting in his chair.

He looks around for her, looking everywhere she might have gone. From his vantage point at the rear of his property all looks normal except that the back door is open, she must be inside he thinks, he hopes.

He makes a mad dash to the back door to find the little girl and finish this for the last time. At the back door, he peers in and sees nothing at first. He steps in his house and looks around the same as he had in the yard looking for the one thing out of place. This time it does not take long and the sight of it makes his heart skip a beat.

The basement door is open. He walks a little closer to the door creeping slowly as if someone might jump out at him. He peers down into the dark of the basement and can barely make out the form of someone standing at the bottom of the stairs, a long dark shadow can be seen from the single faint light source, a dry, cracked, painted over window. 

     "Little girl, is that you?" He asks.
     Nothing but silence comes in reply, but he can see movement in the shadows of the basement.

"Little girl?" he asks again.

   The light flickers on at the pull of a string and she is standing at the bottom but she is not looking up at him, she is staring at the corpse of another young girl lying on the cold basement floor.

     "How did you get in here? The door was locked!" He yells.

She slowly, eerily turns her gaze towards him at the top of the stairs, but she pauses a moment before speaking.

     "The same way I got out of the bedroom this morning Uncle Charlie," she replies.

     "What... Whatever, who cares, just get out of there!" He demands.

   She continues to stand there staring up at him not scared at all by the dead body or his abusive language.

   "What did she do Uncle Charlie? Was she bad?" She asks with a serious tone.

"No, now get out of there!" He demands again.

     "Did you kill her Uncle Charlie?"
     The tone of her voice has him a little unnerved and not realizing it he has not advanced on her, frozen in panic at the top of the steps.

He could easily walk down and drag her out, but he can't move. An awkward silence comes between them as neither of them act, she looks up with an accusing glare, he stands stoic, paralysed.

   "Taking the lords name in vain... And murder. They're called commandments Uncle Charlie not suggest-ments."

   She badgers him with accusations as she slowly, turns and walks up the stairs, taking one deliberate step at a time as she repeats her accusation.

     "Murder, murder, murder...."

"Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!" He screams as he cups his ears with his hands and closes his eyes.

She stops talking, then a few moments go by as he slowly opens his eyes, and removes his hands, she stands eerily close before him staring up and smiling.

"You need to do something with her Uncle Charlie her Mommy and Daddy will be worried," she whispers.

  "I will as soon as you and I take a walk into the woods." he says nervously, taking a gulp of confidence.

   "Why Uncle Charlie?" She whispers.

     He gathers a bit of courage and glares down at the little girl; he grabs her shoulders and lowers his face to within inches of hers, his confidence returning.

     "I plan to kill you like I did her, but you I'm going to chop into little bits and bury in the woods," He explains with a snarled look to his face.

     The little girl blinks her big Blue eyes and takes a nervous gulp, then cracks a big smile.

  "You're so silly Uncle Charlie," she replies giggling.

     Her reaction infuriates him; he grabs her and throws her over his shoulder. He turns and grabs something from a shelf and puts it in his pocket then carries the girl out the open back door and towards the woods.

°°°

Hey guys, thanks for reading. I know this little girl just doesn't seem to be reacting normally. But don't worry it'll all make sense soon. Keep reading, commenting, and voting. ❤