Chapter Seven

“I don't know what I want, so don't ask me

Cause I'm still trying to figure it out

Don't know what's down this road, I'm just walking

Trying to see through the rain coming down” - A Place in This World, Taylor Swift

Niall

“She said yes!” I shout. Louis looks over at my mobile.

“Whoah” he says. “How'd you manage that?”

“Long story” I say. “And it was mostly her sister, anyway.”

“Still, mate” says Louis. “We have an opening act!”

“Food” says Liam. And all conversation stops for about fifteen minutes. But I keep checking my phone, waiting for her to DM me. Finally, the message comes in. And it's got to be the first thing I've ever seen that's more important than food.

“Niall, are you okay?” asks Louis, a hint of a smile in his voice.

“He stopped eating . . .” Harry mutters.

“Calm down, lads” I say. I hold up my mobile. “I got Tierney's number.”

“Great job, mate!” says Louis, clapping me on the back so hard that I drop my mobile. Into his glass of water.

“Gosh, Lou!” I shout, fishing it out quickly. Luckily, it seems to be working. After its little bath. Louis huffs.

“Sorry, mate” he says. I wait a moment, knowing he's not finished. “But that was hilarious!” He starts laughing. And, being me, I can't help but laugh too. Liam frowns at us, and Zayn smirks, while Harry joins us in our laughter.

Finally, we all calm down. “Is it still working, then?” asks Louis, looking down at my mobile.

“Don't worry” I say. “He survived his little swim.”

“He?” asks Harry, causing me to double over in another fit of laughter.

“You're a bit pathetic” Liam remarks. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Louis nodding seriously, and I laugh even harder.

“Are you going to call her, or are you just going to sit here and giggle?” asks Harry.

“Call her” I gasp. “Definitely call her.”

“DO IT!” they all shout at once.

“What, now?” I ask. Harry glares at me. “Right then” I say, dialing the number. “Calling Tierney.” It rings once, twice. Then someone picks up.

“Hello?” asks a feminine voice.

“Er . . . is Tierney there?” I ask, a bit awkwardly.