Breathless

Jim’s P.O.V.

After what felt like an eternity of Rick’s Grandma driving we pulled up to the harbour, the ‘party’ in full swing – this is just like the old parties, un-mated teen wolves getting together and basically having sex; they just have over active hormones, needless to say there's a lot of awkward moments and regret when you find your mate.

Rick ran into the party looking horrified and if Beth wasn’t here I would’ve laughed and called it kids being kids, but she was here and if one of those little pricks have touched my baby I will kill tonight.

“ALRIGHT ALL OF YOU, THIS IS YOUR ALPHA SPEAKING!” Rick yelled over the music, of course he got silence immediately.

“I am ordering each and every one of you back home right now!” Just like that they scarpered, well the ones that Rick didn’t pull back demanding information on Beth.

I started getting worried when no one seemed to know where she was - it’s not like they didn’t know her after her home coming on Friday.

After ten minutes the Alpha struck gold, plucking the girl who invited Beth out of the crowd. “Where is my daughter, Claire?” Clearly scared and nervous at being addressed by the Alpha who was breaking up an illegal party that she took his daughter to the girl spluttered.

“Uh, uh I don’t know – she left with Fletcher Daniels about an hour ago.”

That was it. That was all it took. I saw red.

Beth’s P.O.V.

When we pulled up to my house in Fletcher’s truck we were both laughing hard – he had just speeded the entire way back into town and every person we passed on the way back he’d roll the window down to and strike up conversation with like he knew them for years. Some would talk back to him going along with it and others completely ignored him thinking he was crazy.

“Oh my God, we have to do that again!” I panted, trying to catch my breath back.

“We really do, I haven’t been able to relax with anyone this much for a really long time." He calmed down then. "Thanks Beth.”

“For what?”

“For everything, for keeping my secret, for getting me out of that party, for listening, for telling me your own problems. If it’s any consolation Beth, I think you’ll make a great Alpha.”

“It is, and thanks. By the way if you and Lucy ever need an excuse to spend some time together I’ll be your alibi, just drop me off at a bookstore somewhere – just don’t forget to come back.” I laughed.

“Really? You mean that?”

“Course.”

“That would be amazing, thanks Beth.”

“Stop thanking me for Godsake... " Out of nowhere I started to get a weird feeling. I felt lonely almost and I really wanted something, something special, something that's mine. "I need something.” I muttered the last part to myself.

“Need something? Like what?” Fletcher asked a little perplexed. 

“I don’t know, but I’m really desperate for it.”

He grimaced. “Uh oh.”

“Uh oh? What’s uh oh?” The guy was starting to worry me now and if it was a joke I was going to hit him square in the face, I have a ton of unwarranted anxiety right now and my control was flimsy.

Fletcher scrunched his nose. “Have you and, Jim, you know sealed the deal yet?”

“What?”