Biscuit Head

Beth

Ever since we found out about the baby Jim has been stuck to my side, and really I didn't mind so much since he always seemed so chaotic when he wasn't for example, twenty calls an hour when he was with my Dad.

We've been like opposites - me the calm collected one, quite happy to walk around with my head half in the clouds while Jim jumped to attention at any small sound or new smell, he was like my guard dog.

Usually I'd have gone to town on him going all crazy for nothing, but I started finding it cute and sexy so I'd give little rewards for it. I don't know what's up with us recently but whatever it was it seemed to have switched our personalities to an extent. Dad called in every day to make sure I was ok and coping well and also reminded me to go pay Gram's a visit since she still doesn't know yet. Which is why I'm outside her house right now.

Jim was watching me from his truck to make sure I got inside ok; he couldn't come in because Dad needs him today which made me going to see Grams ideal so I wasn't left alone in the 'big scary house' - I don't know what he thinks is going to happen to me but, whatever.

I knocked the little wooden door lightly and seven seconds later Grams opened it with a big smile, walking forward she held me tight and pulled back glaring over my shoulder. Looking at her with confusion I turned to where her glare was and found Jim still sitting in his truck.

"Why is my future Grandson not coming to say hello"? She asked me a little pissy, narrowing her eyes on Jim who had no clue since he was still staring at me.

I laughed a little. "Grams, he's got to go help Dad".

The old woman rolled her eyes and looked at me herself then. "It wouldn't kill him to say hello, manners are important" she muttered.

Consolingly I put a hand on her shoulder. "He wanted to but he was worried he wouldn't leave and you know how Dad is about people being punctual".

"I suppose" she huffed with pursed lips, "come on in then". I laughed again suddenly feeling like sloppy seconds to her this morning - not in a bad way, just because she was obviously looking forward to giving Jim her 'if you hurt my Grandbaby I'll come after you with a knitting needle' speech.

Then her words sunk in. "And what's with this future Grandson bit"? I questioned, following her through the little hallway as heavily plastered in pictures as always, most of which for self preservation I aviod looking at. She didn't answer me until we sat down on the couch, staring up at me innocently.

"Well your Dad said Jim proposed, he did didn't he"? Her voice had taken on an edge by the end of her sentence; I don't care who you are, you gotta love feisty old people, especially my Grams.

I felt my own eyes narrow then and had to clench my hands into fists to stop them finding my stomach. "What else has Dad said exactly"?

"Nothing why? He did propose? Did you say no? Bethany Blaire Keegan"! I blew a loud rasberry before I laughed hard - no one has used my full name in years. Seeing her unamused face through my tears however sobered me some, so I coughed my way back into silence.

Wiping the last tear away I shook my head at her in mock disappointment. "Of course I didn't say no Grams, what do you take me for"?

She smiled briefly before she focused a speculative gaze on me. "Well then what should your Dad have told me that he failed to"?

"Nothing, it's my job to tell you - sorry it's taken so long, I know -"

"Stop stallin' girly and tell me already"! She cut me off, staring at me avidly in her seat.