Chapter 8 - The Art Show

Second update today! I'm sorry for the short chapters, but I set a word limit so that it's easy for me to complete them. I'll combine two or three chapters in the final version of this book. Sorry for any errors. Hope you guys like my work! 

Love,

Mugdha Mittal :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Kimaya woke up late the next morning. She skipped college for attending her mother's exhibition. It was already 10 AM by the time she woke up. 

Oh shit! She thought. Her mother's art show started at 11:30, and would go on till 5 in the evening. And the place of the show was half an hour away. Which meant that she had just an hour to get ready, have breakfast, and complete anything else she needed to do. 

Kimaya rushed to the washroom, and in half an hour, she was ready. It was an important day for her too, and she needed to be ready for it. She put on a pretty floral dress, to match with the colours of the art gallery, and white wedgies. A bit of lip gloss and eye liner, and she was ready to go. She made herself some sandwiches and packing them up, she got into the car. She could eat in the car too. Even if she generally never was, this was the one time Kimaya wanted to be on time.

She reached the gallery forty five minutes later, thanks to traffic. Just fifteen minutes for the show to begin, and Kimaya could notice a few cars parked, indicating the presence of a few eager people.

"Mom!" She cried, spotting Mrs. Verma, doing some last minute preparations. "Why didn't you wake me up earlier?" 

"Come on Kim. You slept late enough last night. I didn't think it would matter so much if you were a little late to the exhibition."

"But this is important for me too, you know! Thank God I woke up just in time!"

"I know, sweetie. You look fabulous, by the way."

"Thanks, mum," said Kimaya, smiling.

"It's time. Get ready, Kim."

Kimaya nodded, uncertainly. Her mom gave her an encouraging smile, walking forward to welcome the audience. Soon, people were flooding in. Kimaya was proud of her mother. She was an outstanding artist, and had gained enormous success.

After half an hour, Mrs. Verma took her daughter's hand, and led her up a little stage.

"And now, my friends," announced Mrs. Verma, "I would like to introduce you to my daughter, Kimaya Verma. She is not a fan of painting, but trust me, she has magic in her hands. Now unveiling, her first artwork."

A worker brought in Kimaya's painting - she had made it just last night. It was a request - more of a challenge - from one of Mrs. Verma's friends. However amazing her mother was at art, Kimaya didn't like painting. She used to be a horrible artist when she was little, and had never tried it again. But last night, when her mother tried to show her how, Kimaya had come out with a masterpiece. 

People clapped, and a magazine reporter asked Kimaya to say something. This was something Kimaya was not prepared for. She was still pretty much anti-social, and had no plans of giving a speech. But well, she had to. Her mom gave her a little push, asking her to speak just a few words, and then she'd take over. Mrs. Verma was completely aware of her daughter's fears, and protected her.

"Well.. I.. I'm not really an artist. In fact, I don't think I even knew how to hold a brush. I used to be a terrible artist when I was young,but when I tried now, it seemed interesting and amazing. Well, my mother is an amazing artist, and nothing is impossible, so here I am. Every credit of this painting goes to my mother, except that I'm the one who painted it." Kimaya added with a laugh. She stepped off the stage, and suddenly realized that though she had not said much, she was not the least shy, and had actually been able to a little funny on-stage.