From Road to Ruins

"What's happening?!" I shouted.

"Steven, Chase is one of them. We need to go" Jesse said.

"Fuck. Okay let's go"

"Steven tell me what's happening!" I begged my brother.

"We don't have time! I'll explain later- you go get the girls & we'll pack up"

I stared at him, a blank expression on my face.

"Now!" Steven yelled. I'd never seen him so frightened.

I quickly ran over to Georgia & Whitney's tent to wake them up. I ended up having to kick them awake as they refused to wake up.

"WHAT THE HELL" screeched Whitney.

"We have to go now, where's Leesa?"

"I think she went to the bathroom? Or you know what, I think she's trying to make a move on Steven. Maybe she went for a walk? I can't really remember..." Georgia taunted, giggling. I grabbed her throat and slammed her head back not too hard.

"You remember now?!" I say furiously.

"OH MY GOD what's wrong with you?!!" Georgia screamed.

"We need to go and I'm not leaving without her" I said.

"Looks like you can just stay here then bitch!" Whitney said clawing at me but I dodged her.

"We don't know where she went, jesus" Georgia whined holding her head in pain. I ran out of the tent and started calling for her. This was my worst nightmare.

"LEESA!" I called hoping she'd show.

"Where are you?!!" I shouted again.

All of a sudden a hand covered my mouth. He turned me around to face him and I saw it was Jesse.

"There are people who want to kill us within a 5 mile radius of here. My guess is they've already pin pointed our location and are on their way. We need to leave without getting caught so stop screaming" he said in a hushed tone before releasing me.

"I'm not leaving without Leesa!" I half whispered half shouted at him.

"It's not safe. You need to come" he replied.

"No" I said holding my ground.

He desperately looks at my face before saying "Sorry".

He threw me over his shoulder and brought me to where Steven was while I was thrashing. I saw Whitney & Georgia get in the van.

"Jesse PLEASE I CANT LEAVE HER HERE SHE'S MY BEST FRIEND" I shout and he places me in the vehicle while I continue throwing my fit. I was pissed as hell. Where the fuck was Leesa??

"Ok we're all set" Steven said jumping into the drivers seat, Jesse in the passenger. Steven drove faster than ever out of the lot and into numerous back roads.

"Where are we going?" Asked Whitney, their concern now identical to my own.

"Somewhere safe" Steven replied.

I grabbed my phone and texted Leesa.

Marley: Leesa where are you?!!!
Marley: Seriously, we just left & I don't know what's going on!
Marley: Please answer
Marley: Leesa??

I was freaking out. I could hear everyone panicking and talking over each other but I just sat there not saying a word. It was as if I were paralyzed.

"Oh my god the news... there's been three causalities back at the beach" Whitney said horrified.

"No" I mumbled.

"I'm so sorry.." Georgia said.

"NO!!!" I broke down.

Leesa couldn't be one of them. No. I didn't believe it. I didn't realize Jesse had climbed to the back until I felt him wrap his arms around me and I began sobbing into his chest. He gently rubbed circles on my back and pressed light kisses on the top of my head. I was terrified but somehow Jesse, who I was supposed to be mad at, was the one person I found comfort from. It sickened me.

We stayed like that until I didn't have any tears left. I stayed buried in his chest, not wanting to move. I wished it was a dream. All of it. Just a really bad dream.

The car was dead silent for the next few minutes which felt like hours. Sudden bumps in the road caused me to shift and look around. We were in the woods somewhere. Green surrounded us. So much green.

"Jesse, they've got us. We've gotta take a detour" Steven said breaking the deafening silence.

"Ok" said Jesse calmly and I felt the vibrations of his voice from his chest where my head was.

"Where?" asked Whitney.

"A friend's house" my brother replied.

Out of nowhere, Steven whipped the vehicle around through the woods barley missing trees in his way.

"Jesus!" Georgia exclaimed.

"Grab what you can" Steven continued.

Everyone did so not asking questions. Finally, Jesse had to get up to help, leaving me alone. We neared a small lake and Steven parked the car.

"Ok everyone out"

Jesse helped me out of the van followed by everyone else. It was then I realized we were on the edge of the lake, the van threatening to fall in.

"Jesse give me a hand" Steven said.

"Alright"

The two got behind the lime green vehicle and pushed, straining together but got it in the water. It bobbed around for a minute then sank deep down.

Steven led the way to our next destination & Jesse and I were at the back of the pack. He tried to put a hand on my shoulder but I shrugged him off. This was his fault after all. We followed the path for about 15 minutes before we approached a small cottage. Upon walking inside I noticed how nice it was. The couch in the main part of the house was the first thing I saw. I crawled onto it and rested my head on one of the pillows. Steven draped a wool blanket over me and softly said "Get some rest, little sis". I avoided making eye contact with him. Fortunately, sleep came easier than ever.