Faults

It was nearly lunch time when the high wore off. We walked back in the house to find Whitney up & making brunch. Steven was lounging on the couch, still asleep & his morning wood evident.

"God dammit. Steven" I muttered before hitting my brother square in the face hard with a pillow. He didn't even budge. Disgusting.

"Hey Marley, you want some toast with jam?" Whitney asked me sweetly. Too sweetly. Maybe she felt bad for me.

"Sure" I said taking the plate from her. She gave Jesse something to eat as well. My phone buzzed. I ignored it but then it buzzed again. And wouldn't stop.

Leesa: Marley it's me
Leesa: I don't have a lot of time
Leesa: They have me
Leesa: pls help

I froze unable to process what the fuck had just happened.

Marley: Leesa I need you to tell me where you are
Leesa: Idk it's so dark
Leesa: he has a gun
Leesa: I'm so scared help me
Marley: Is the man named Greg?
Leesa: idk

"Jesse, what does Greg look like?"

"Why do you want to kn-"

"Answer the question"

"Buzz cut, a little heavy, maybe in his late fifties. He's blind in one eye. He always wears shades"

I quickly typed in the description to Leesa.

Leesa: Yes, that's him
Leesa: wtf is going on
Leesa: fuck
Leesa: they think I have a phone
Leesa: Gtg send helpfdjs
Marley: Leesa??

I stopped texting her after that; I didn't want her phone to buzz & alert them. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck rang through my head. I didn't even realize both Jesse & Whitney had been trying to get my attention.

"Marley!" Jesse shouted, gripping my shoulders.

"They have her. They're keeping Leesa hostage..."

"Give me your phone" he demanded.

I just sat there not moving. I didn't want to give him my phone. That was my only connection to Leesa now. But I was also afraid what would happen if I kept texting her. Was it even Leesa on the other end?

I felt him grab it from me and I didn't resist. Jesse briefly scanned over our conversation before drowning my phone in the sink.

"What the fuck?!!" I screamed.

"Had that number called you & gotten you on the phone, it'd only take 10 seconds of speaking time for them to find your location. We're not safe" he said as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

"What about Leesa?!" I asked, terrified of what he was going to say. The look on his face wasn't exactly giving me optimistic vibes.

"Listen" he said as he took my hands and intertwined them in his. "I worked on the inside for about 4 years...". Jesse wouldn't look at me. He just concentrated his dangerous eyes on fiddling with my fingers. "If they wanted someone to think a loved one was in danger, chances are it was too late" he said, gently stroking my palms. His calloused hands brought a warmth to mine as he continued to focus on my hands.

"You think she's..." I tried to say.

"I wouldn't get your hopes up" Jesse replied. I could hear the pity in his voice. I didn't want his pity. I was angry. I should have been angry at Jesse. And Steven. After all, they got us in this mess. But the way he laced his fingers with mine made it hard for me to stay mad. He knew how to soothe me & that was probably the most frustrating part. I snatched my hands from his grip & stormed out of the house. I was so done. With everyone. My best fucking friend was a hostage or DEAD all thanks to my brother and Jesse. Fucking Jesse. He got to me so easy. How could I be so dumb to trust him?