Part 4

It took a few seconds for everyone to realise what just happen. Shivaay looked down to see his love, his Anika lying numb at his feet.

Shivaay: ANIKA!

He knelt beside her and placed her head on his lap.

Shivaay: *patting her cheeks* Anika! Nonononono! Tum mujhe aise chhod ke nahi jaa sakti, okay? Open your eyes Anika! (Anika! Nonononono! You can't leave me, okay? Open your eyes Anika!)

She still laid lifeless in his lap. On the other hand, Om and Rudra rushed to an unconscious Mahi and knelt beside him. Rudra patted, more like slapped, his cheeks.

Rudra: *screaming* MAHI BHAIYA! UTHIYE!
(MAHI BHAIYA! WAKE UP!)

Shivaay: *screams* SOMEBODY CALL THE AMBULANCE. MAHI! ANIKA!

Bhavya: Main ambulance bulati hoon. (I'll call the ambulance.)

Mahi and Anika are rushed to the hospital. Shivaay and Prinku were in one ambulance with Anika while Om and Rudra were in the other ambulance with Mahi. As soon as the reached the hospital, they rushed them into the ICU. Shivaay was near the ICU while OmRu completed the formalities. Rest of family members arrive by car. Shivaay was pacing up and down the corridor, waiting to know the condition of his brother and wife. Om went to him and made him sit down. He got lost in his thoughts. How did his life change in just a matter of a few hours? A nurse came from Anika's ward.

Nurse: Sir, Ms Anika ka poora naam kya hain? (Sir, what is Ms Anika's full name?)

Om: Anika Shivaay Sin...

Shivaay: *cuts him* Mrs Anika Shivaay. Sirf Shivaay. (Mrs Anika Shivaay. Just Shivaay.)

The nurse nods and leaves. Om tries to keep a hand on Shivaay's shoulder but he jerks it away. They family members reach there but Rudra stops them from going near Shivaay. They silently obey. After half an hour, a doctor came out of Mahi's ward. The family members rush to him.

Jahnvi: Doctor, Mahi kaisa hain? (Doctor, how is Mahi?)

Doctor: *tensed* Um, I'm sorry to say Mrs Oberoi, but he is very critical. Goli bilkul main artery ke paas lagi hain, close to the heart, aur unka heart bahot weak hain. Yeh surgery unke liye bahot crucial hogi, unhe bachana aasan nahi. Honestly, hume nahi lagta woh yeh surgery bardaash kar paayenge.
(Um, I'm sorry to say Mrs Oberoi, but he is very critical. The bullet hit near the main artery, close to the heart, and his heart is very weak.  This surgery will be very crucial for him, it won't be easy to save him. Honestly, we don't think he will be able to make it through the surgery.)

Everyone got shocked but Shivaay was enraged. He holds the doctor's collar.

Shivaay: *angrily* Aap aisa kaise keh sakte hain, huh? KAISE? MERE BHAI KO KUCH NAHI HO SAKTA. DO YOU GET THAT?
(How can you say that, huh? HOW? MY BROTHER HAS TO BE ALRIGHT. DO YOU GET THAT?)

OmRu pull them away.

Om: *holding Shivaay* Shivaay, chhod unhe. (Shivaay, leave him.) *to the doctor* I'm sorry doctor.

Doctor: It's okay Mr Oberoi.

He was about to go inside the ICU but Rudra stops him.

Rudra: Doctor, Anika bhabhi kaisi hain?
(Doctor, how is Anika bhabhi?)

Doctor: Aap chinta mat kijiye. Unka case humari senior cardiologist, Dr Vrushali Mehta handle kar rahi hain. Unki surgery bhi start ho gayi hain. (Don't worry. Our senior cardiologist, Dr Vrushali Mehta is handling her case. Her surgery has started as well.) 

Saying so, he went inside the ICU. Om calmed Shivaay down.

Om: Shivaay sambhaal apne aap ko. I know tere liye yeh kitna difficult but trust me, humare liye bhi yeh utna hi difficult hain. Likin is time pe tum kamzoor nahi pad sakte.
(Pull yourself together Shivaay. I know how difficult it is for you but trust me, it's difficult for us as well. You can't fall weak this time.) 

Shivaay: Main koshish kar raha hoon Om likin tu khud ko meri jagah par rakh ke soch. Wahan andar meri biwi aur mera bhai hain.
(I am trying Om but put yourself in my shoes. My wife and brother are inside.)

Om: *keeps his hand on his shoulder* Shivaay, woh meri bhabhi aur mera bhai bhi hain. Main samajh sakta hoon tumpe kya beet rahi hain.
(Shivaay, they are my sister-in-law and brother as well. I can understand what you are going through.)

Rudra goes to Shivaay and hugs him. Shivaay breaks down and cries hugging him. Om, too, joins them followed by Gauri, Bhavya and Prinku.

Rudra: Bhaiya, kabh-kabhi bas ek hug kaafi hota hain.
(Bhaiya, sometimes a hug can cure it all.)

Gauri: Bade bhaiya, aap pareshaan mat hoiye. Hume pura viswaas hain, Sankarjee sab harharaaike theek kar denge. (Bade bhaiya, don't worry. I have faith that Shankarjee will quickly make it right.)

They sit on the bench outside the ICU. After a couple of hours, a doctor comes from Anika's ward.

Doctor: Mr Shivaay?

Shivaay springs from his seat and runs to the doctor.

Doctor: I'm Dr Vrushali Mehta. Aapki wife ka case main hi handle kar rahi hoon.
(I'm Dr Vrushali Mehta. I am handling your wife's case.) 

Shivaay: Doctor, meri biwi kaisi hain?
(Doctor, how is my wife?)

Doctor: She's conscious right now. Aap unhe mil sakte hain, if you want to.
(She's conscious right now. You can meet her, if you want to.)

Shivaay: Of course, I do.

Dr Mehta: Okay. Please come with me.

He follows her inside Anika's unit. Anika was lying bed, pale and weak, with many machines connected to her. Shivaay knelt beside her and held her hand. Her eyes were partially open. He kissed her hand and said...

Shivaay: Everything will be fine Anika.

She smiled lightly and nodded. A ward-boy came in.

Ward-boy: Sister Sana, organ aa gaya hain. Operation start kar sakte hain.
(Sister Sana, the organ has arrived. Operation can be started.)

Sister Sana: Okay, Dr Vrushali ko inform kar do. *to Shivaay* Mr Shivaay, aap please bahar jaayiye, patient ko OT le jaana hain. (Okay, inform Dr Vrushali. Mr Shivaay, please go outside, we need to take the patient to the OT.)

Shivaay: OT matlab? Surgery toh ho gayi na?
(What do you mean OT? The surgery is done, right?)

Sister Sana: Sirf bullet nikaali gai hain, transplant baaku hain. Excuse me.
(Only the bullet has been removed, transplant is left. Excuse me.)

She sedates Anika and she wheeled out of the ICU into the OT. Shivaay goes out and sees Dr Vrushali standing near OmRuPriRiYa.

Shivaay: Dr Mehta, aapki nurse kya keh rahi thi? Surgery incomplete hain? Would you care to explain?
(Dr Mehta, what was your nurse saying? Surgery is incomplete? Would you care to explain?)

Dr Mehta: *tensed* Mr Shivaay, humne surgically bullet remove kar di hain likin... bullet ne patient ke heart ke ek corner ko pierce kar diya hain. Humne situation control karne ki poori koshish likin unka heart buri tarah damage ho chuka hain.
(Mr Shivaay, we removed the bullet but... it pierced a corner of the heart. We tried our best to get the situation under control but her heart is badly damaged.)

Everyone gets shocked, Shivaay, most of all.

Bhavya: Ab? (Now?)

Dr Mehta: Unka heart toh damage ho chuka so we have no other option except for... heart transplantation. Waise toh yeh humare etiquette ke against hain, likin main aapko mentally prepare karna chahti hoon, koi jhoothi ummeed nahi dena chahti.
(Her heart is already damaged so we have no other option except for... heart transplantation. Though it is against our etiquette, I want to mentally prepare you all, I don't want to give you any false hopes.)

Gauri: Aap ka kahna chahti hain, seedhe-seedhe boliye.
(What are you trying to say? Don't beat around the bush, just saay it.)

Dr Mehta: Anika ke survival ke chances sirf 12% hain. Aur yeh number dip hota jaa raha hain. Yeh bhi ho sakta hain ki... *looks at Shivaay* shayad andar aapne uhne aakhri baar dekha tha Mr Shivaay.
(Anika only has a 12% chance of survival. And this number is dipping rapidly. It's possible that...inside you saw her for the last time Mr Shivaay.)

Saying so, she left for the OT, leaving everyone shocked.