Two

Work was an impossibility.

I stood in my section rendered catatonic by the pile of books on the cart in front of me. My brain refused to register the words on the spines. The scan gun in my hand felt heavy. I set it down. To say I hadn't recovered from the events of the night before would be a massive understatement worthy of an award.

"You okay?"

I jumped at the familiar voice. Dana smiled at me but her brows were furrowed—she was clearly worried. Her new hair color of the month was purple. She wore the brightly colored dreadlocks swept up into a large bun a top her head. The color purple was pastel and the pale shade contrasted with her deep mocha skin nicely.

My mouth opened but words didn't come out. Instead I sobbed and collapsed into her arms.

"Did something happen?"

"I can't say," I choked out. "I promised."

"God! Are you still crying over that idiot?" Sam's voice cut through my sobs.

"I don't think this is about Taylor," Dana said as she held me and patted my back.

"Oh. What's wrong now?"

"I can't say." I wrenched myself from Dana and wiped my eyes.

"Bullshit!" Sam pushed up the sleeves of her button down with the store's logo to her elbows. "Who's ass do I have to kick?" Her jaw tightened as she crossed her arms.

"Look, it's not like that." I pushed my fingers back through my long messy hair. "I...I..."

"Out with it."

"Last night..." I chewed on my bottom lip, eating away at the lip gloss I wore. "I killed someone," I whispered.

"You what!"

Dana covered her mouth in shock. Alex looking geek chic as ever with brown hair pulled into a sloppy bun and glasses resting at the end of her nose rounded the corner with the all too blonde haired and blue-eyed Milo. They were giggling about something and looked so happy and carefree that I envied them. Both instantly fell silent the moment their eyes landed on me.

"Shh!" I hissed, wiping my eyes. "It was..." I shook my head and told them all everything. Confessing the events of the night before to someone made me feel better, but I was still far from normal. When I was done all of them stared in shock.

"Okay, here's what you're going to do," Milo started. "You're going to leave. I'll call Mikey and he'll finish up your shift. I'll drive you to the police department so you can file a report."

"Shut up, Milo," Sam snapped. She turned to me. "You're not going to the cops."

"The police are supposed to handle this sort of thing," Milo huffed.

"Yes, because that works out so stupendously for magic users. Besides, if he really was Prince Cael the last thing she wants to do is involve law enforcement."

"He said he was going to kill her!"

I let them argue exchanging looks with Alex and Dana. After some time, they stopped arguing.

"We'll spell everything in her place. It'll work."

"And if it doesn't?"

"Then we'll take the fight to him."