Twenty

The first snow started falling as we sat a block away from Cael's mansion in the snooty part of Middle Brooke. All of us got the memo to not only wear black, but hoodies and winter face masks that covered the lower portion of our faces—mine had a skull with vampire fangs painted on the heavy dark fabric. In short we looked like we were up to no good.

My leg shook with nervousness as Sam started going over the plan for the millionth time.

"We'll hop the fence from the neighbor behind. I've spelled a sheet for invisibility so we can use it to hide ourselves from the guards. Remember, we're disabling them not killing them. Mia."

"What? Why are you targeting me?" I whined.

"Because you've gotten violent recently."

"Says the person expelled from two schools for fighting."

"I'm not getting into this now. But no murder."

"Fine." I sighed and crossed my arms.

"We'll move together, each responsible for a different direction. Dana will look out for wards. I was going to spell blue prints to use as a map, but the fucking spell fizzled so we'll use this." Sam took a tennis ball from the black backpack.

"I'm usually all for your plots Sam, but he'll see that," Dana chimed in.

"Not if it's on the ceiling."

"Yeah, no one ever looks up." Alex nodded.

"Sure, because a multimillennial creature won't think to look up," Dana snarked, essentially saying exactly what I was thinking.

"You'd be surprised. But if he sees it... we'll go on the attack. Dana and Alex you'll handle any guards who arrive while Mia and I face off against Cael. This should be easy. Once he's down, Mia your job will be to burn the corpse with that black fire shit and Alex you'll portal us out to the car."

"And if one of us gets injured?" I asked.

"We'll wing it. And if Milo's in there... we kill him."

"Wow. Pump the breaks, Sam. Are you sure you want to do that?"

"Yes. Any other questions?" We were all silent. "All right, lets go." Sam pulled up her mask and the rest of us did the same.

The four of us hopped the fence into the yard of Cael's behind neighbor. Snow continued to fall but it was a wet snow, disappearing seconds after it hit the ground. The downside was Sam's invisibility sheet wasn't quite so invisible with the snow. When everyone else huddled under linen I wait a moment, watching the snow collect on top.

"They're going to see us," I hissed stepping underneath.

"Yeah, I just noticed that," Sam groused with wand in hand.

With a flick of her wand the four of us levitated in tandum, and floated over to the other side of the fence. The spelled sheet was surprisingly easy to see through. The world appeared to be projected on the inside.

There were a few of guys standing around with guns, and unfortunately for Sam's plan—and us in general—they were all Sidhe. That meant we couldn't put them to sleep without their gazes meeting ours, which was impossible with the sheet in the way. We could have done it with lesser fae, humans and anything else but not the Sidhe.

"Fuck," Dana hissed softly.

"Do we know where he is?" Alex whispered nervously glancing around.