Twenty-Three

Thanksgiving was awkward and I didn't stay the night with my parents like I planned, instead I ended up at the hospital. Everyone was due to be released the next day. Alex and Dana even ended up in the same room together. Sam, however got a private room because Mikey pulled some strings. He'd never thrown money around before, but I guess near death experiences do tend to change people.

My heavy sigh caused the man who'd been walking in front of me to turn around. Dressed in a charcoal gray wool suit and over coat with his new hair cut I hardly recognized Mikey he barely looked like himself. Gone were the floppy, messy, dark curls, replaced with a carefully styled cooperate short do that was something I'd never imagine Mikey wearing before.

"Mia!" He ran over to me and pulled me into a hard hug.

"I'd say it's great to see you, but are you really you?" I teased as he swung me around a bit before setting me down.

"Should I say the same about you? Holy fuck you're powerful now. That hug was almost like shaking hands with my cousin."

"I'm sorry about Milo."

He scoffed. "Don't be."

"Wow, cold much?"

"Milo deserved everything he got and more."

"I didn't expect that from you."

"Being bed ridden for a month does tend to put things into perspective. If he actually cared about me and Sam he could have warned me. I got into his e-mail and phone. He was only with us for the sex. All that shit about him being upset was an act."

"I think I've been trying my hardest not to really dwell too much on it."

"Don't blame you."

"How was Thanksgiving? Missing tropical island paradise already?"

"Urgh, don't get me started on Thanksgiving with the Sterlings. I think I'm going to fly Sam out after Finals."

"I think she'll like that."

"Know what else she'll like?" He held up a wrapped box with a big silver bow.

"I'd ask to see the necklace, but you're giving it to Sam that couldn't possibly be what's in there."

"I bought her an antique wand, I went to the shop outside of Southingwick where all the greats got theirs. This is one of the last blackened Unicorn horn wands. They're illegal to make now, but they're unbreakable and supposedly amplify the wizard's power—at least according to the guy behind the counter."

"Dipping into the trust fund?"

"Yup, before they take it away again." He chuckled.

"I thought it was yours regardless?"

"That money I can't access until I'm twenty-five. Think Sam'll like it?" He shook the box.

"Yeah, I think she'd have thumped you if it was Jewelry."

"She's awesome, isn't she?" He beamed.

"Sam's amazing."

"Oh, I'm more than well informed on the whole Craven saving you guys issue."

"How?" I furrowed my brows. I hadn't told anyone.

"Dana and Sam were mostly conscious during the fight. I know it's not my place, and I'm a little biased because I too find him beyond sexy, but you should try to forgive him."