17: Friends Come In Handy

I looked over to where Vlad and Mason's voices had come from, I called for them desperately.

"Guys! Guys, help me!"

I heard running footsteps and Vlad's voice. But I quickly learned that taking my eyes off of King Rah was a mistake. I felt a sharp pain in my stomach and a warm oozing feeling. Pain overwhelmed me and every sound became muffled. King Rah kneeled next to me keeping me standing up. He said only these words before walking away.

"This time you won't survive." He then proceeded to walk away with a swish of his red cloak. I tried to call out for Vlad again, but black spots overcame my sight, when I opened my mouth blood came out and dribbled on my shirt. The footsteps were getting closer. I knew that if I fainted, I would probably die but the pain was getting unbearable and my mind was getting foggier and foggier. I saw a bright tunnel and something was telling me to go towards it. I noticed that I was slowly falling through the sky. I landed on the ground, I could see Vlad and Mason, they were right across from me but they were about to go the wrong way, they didn't see me.

I tried to make a noise, any noise to alert them. I gurgled, choking on my blood. Turns out that was enough. Vlad turned my way and ran over to me. I don't know what happened next because that's when darkness overwhelmed my vision.

Three Days Later

My eyes slowly opened, and I quickly closed them again as brightness clouded my vision. I moaned, shielding my eyes. When I heard running. I turned my head to the sound to see Mason staring at me through his dirty glasses with wide eyes. He quickly ran away but came back with Vlad at his side. I tried to sit up, for the bed that I was laying on was not very comfortable but was met a terrible stabbing sensation in the middle of my stomach.

"Agh, my god that hurts."

Vlad quickly came to my side while Mason stood in the doorway staring at the pair of us.

"Angeni, are you okay? When Vlad and I found you, you  were laying in a puddle of blood while Alex was slowly descending from the sky. What happened! You guys were gone for so long so Mason and I came looking for you guys and it's a good thing that we did. I don't even-"

"Shush, Vlad please. There's a lot that I have to think about and I have a lot of questions too, but I think it would be better if we talked about this as a group, but right now, I'm not ready. I-I just found out some really disturbing news about my family and I really want to think about it"

"Of course, sorry for bombarding you with questions, it's just, it's been three days and we've been waiting you guys to wake up. Alex still hasn't woken up yet though." He turned his head from, and I saw a single tear drip from his face onto the mattress.

I quickly engulfed him in a hug.

"Hey, it's gonna be okay.....I woke up so...Alex will too."

"Yeah, she will...."

When we stopped hugging I quickly realized that I had no shirt on just thick bandages around me. I looked at Vlad with a menacing look on my face.

"Um, well we had to! So we could bandage you up, believe me we didn't want to do it, were gay so were not interested in girl....parts! I'm sorry please don't hurt me."

I laughed, "You're in the clear."

Mason came over with a nervous look on that face.

Vlad looked at me, "Mason has something to tell you. I'll leave you too alone, I'm sure you're hungry Angeni so I'll get you some food."

Vlad walked out, leaving me with his boyfriend.

"I-I'm sorry Angeni...for the way that I acted, it was childish and selfish of me. I just didn't want to face the music, to actually face the fact that we live in a world where the odds are stacked up against us. But that's not really a good reason to have acted the way I did. But just so you know I-I wanna help you if you let me of course."  He looked at me waiting for me to answer.

"I forgive you Mason." I extended my arms and engulfed him a hug.

"Thank you, I'm going to go check on Alex but I'll be back later." He gave me a warm smile and left.

I began thinking about what King Rah had said about my father's death. Tears slowly escaped my eyes, making my vision blurry. When I heard a knock on my door. I quickly wiped away the tears and shouted that they could come in. Vlad came in with water and buttered toast.

"Hey so how did- why are you crying."

"What I'm not crying."

"Well your not crying but you've been crying. I can tell."

I sniffled burying my head into a pillow. He came over and sat down on the side of the mattress setting down the toast and water on nightstand. He stroked my hair as I cried my eyes out in front of him.

"Don't you trust me?" He asked with concern, his  beautiful golden eyes sparkling in the pale candlelight.

"I looked up at him, "Of course I do." I said wiping away tears leaving my eyes red and puffy.

"Then tell me what's wrong. I won't say anything to the others , just like you didn't tell the others about my...past." He covered his eyes from me with his hair and looked away from me. He looked back at me after a moment but his eyes were still hidden.

"Okay but don't say anything to anyone."

(Angeni then proceeded to tell Vlad everything that happened when Angeni and Alex went hunting.)

"You can tell Mason everything up until the Dad part."

"Okay I'll tell him but you should eat, we'll tell you what happened when you passed out tomorrow. Try to get some sleep. Good night."

I ate the toast and drank the water hungrily. I had a pounding headache and I couldn't wait to sleep. I stared out the window and tried to name the stars. That was something I used to do with Marie at bedtime. She was great at Astronomy. A lump formed in my throat thinking  about Marie. I slowly got up and looked around the room I was in. I looked in a corner and saw my backpack. I walked over and picked it up and opened it, looking for Marie's teddy bear. I grabbed it and walked back to the bed.

I cried all night holding that bear, just thinking about my family while looking up at the stars....

I awoke the next day, with a pounding headache.