Chapter Six

Eli's eyes were slightly red. It wasn't too bad. If you looked closely it was noticeable, and if you didn't pay it too much heed it could be mistaken for sleepiness. At least he hoped it could be mistaken for sleepiness.

Jenny called up the stairs.

Eli sighed. He'd stayed hidden in his room as long as he could. He picked up his bag, noticing how stiff his body moved, and made his way downstairs. He could smell pancakes in the kitchen. He hadn't come down for breakfast.

"Take something with you in the car" Jenny started to move a pile onto a plate.

"Thanks, but I'm okay" Eli hovered in the doorway. His dad was sitting at the kitchen table reading the newspaper. He saw Jenny shoot him a look, and his dad's stern expression melted. When his dad opened his mouth to speak, Eli ducked his head. "Let Noah know I'm in the car when he comes down" he left before they had a chance to reply.

He felt stupid. He got worked up over a stupid picture and got into a fight with his dad over it. Fighting with his dad was the last thing he needed right now.

Noah was only a minute behind Eli. He climbed into the driver's seat, and Eli could see him looking at him out of the corner of his eye. He didn't start the car. Eli could only take a few seconds of the silence. "We'll be late."

"Are you sure you want to go to school?" Noah spoke tentatively, as though expecting Eli to explode at him. Sort of like he had last night. "I can talk to dad if you don't want to"

"I'm not missing class because of a stupid picture" Eli didn't move his gaze from the glass. He didn't want to see Noah's expression. Last night it had been blurry, and like this Eli didn't want to face it.

"Okay" Noah started the car, "As long as that's what you want"

*

Eli could feel everyone staring at him. It was more than being the new kid. It was friends nudging each other and pointing in his direction, it was whispers directed about him and everyone's burning stares, that weighed heavy on him. He couldn't get that word out of his head. The tag for the picture, 'fag'.

"Someone's in a bad mood"

Cameron's voice startled him. Eli had been glaring into his locker, trying to fight down the overwhelming annoyance that was quickly rising in his chest once again. Eli glanced up at him, taking in the tousled hair and relaxed stance as he leaned against the lockers. The amusement in Cameron's eyes rubbed Eli the wrong way.

Cameron raised an eyebrow. "You're really in a bad mood"

Eli's face must have been saying a lot. "I'm sure you can figure out why"

Cameron shrugged. Eli didn't figure he'd care either way, given what his Facebook page was flooded with. Eli noticed Noah down the hall, and the anxiety came back. He rubbed the back of his neck, pulling out the final books he needed, and desperately wished for the bell to go sooner. It felt like since Cameron had shown up even more people were stopping to watch.

"Don't tell me Noah gave you a hard time about it?" Cameron questioned.

"Did I say he did?"

"You won't look in his direction"

"Do you want something?" Eli turned to him again, "Or are you just here to pester me about my mood?"

Cameron looked even more amused. "I'm here to pester you" Eli glared up at him. Cameron's smile grew, and he leaned in closer against the locker. "Come on, don't tempt me like that." He nudged the edge of Eli's jaw with his knuckle.