Chapter Twenty-Six

The rogue fixed its eye on Eli, disregarding the threat of the gun.

Cameron bristled, his body seeming to grow larger to completely block Eli from its view. He couldn't look away from Cameron's twisted leg. His fur glistened. Wet and sticking in odd directions. There's no way that was water. On his coat it blended in, but the splatter of red on the floor was a garish shade that refused to go unseen.

Cameron was hurt.

Cameron was standing between him and the rogue, but he was hurt.

The rogue looked away from Eli, regarded the gun and then bolted.

Eli pushed the hands that were tugging him away and knelt next to Cameron. His muzzle pressed against his cheek. He whined.

"Cameron-"

Cameron turned on the hands reaching towards them, his jaws snapping and growl returning full force. Mary flinched back, and Evan retreated a step as Cameron stood over Eli to snarl at the pack crowding the hallway.

Eli took in the wild glint in his eye. It, for once, seemed dangerously animalistic. He regarded his mother and brother like enemies. He was sure Cameron was still trying to protect him.

"Cameron" Eli ventured, putting a hand on his back. The growling lowered, but didn't stop. His body remained taunt – ready to spring. "It's okay" he reassured. "the rogues gone. It's safe now." He repeated the same things over and over, until Cameron relaxed and lay over Eli's lap. Instead of growling, he whined. Eli glanced at Mary.

She cautiously reached for Cameron. Eli felt him tense, but with continued soft words he didn't spring up.

"It's broken" Mary said gravely as she appraised his back leg.

"These are shallow." Evan reported, "It would be easier to treat in his other form."

"He can't shift with a broken bone." Mary responded. "I didn't even realise he was able to shift like that in the first place."

"Me either. But he was motivated." Evan glanced at Eli as he said it. He frowned. "Mom"

Mary looked up. "Eli, how does your head feel? Does it hurt? Ache anywhere?"

He ran his fingers through Cameron's coat. "My legs are kind of going numb though. He's heavy."

"He's a big boy alright." Mary said with the ghost of a smile.

"He is kind of fat in this form." Eli agreed.

Cameron whined profusely. He wriggled in Eli's lap, but Evan put a hand onto his shoulder to stop him getting up.

"So fat" Eli taunted.

Cameron whined even louder.

"You're too cute." He kissed the top his muzzle with a wide smile. After, he looked in the direction the rogue had gone. Oliver was at the end of the hallway with his eyes glued to the entrances. David was poised at the opposite side, watching the front door.

"I couldn't see anything from up there." Laura trotted down the stairs, "He okay?"

"Broken bone, but otherwise it's nothing serious." Evan finished whatever he was doing with Cameron's cuts. He looked up to Eli. "Where does it hurt?"

"I'm not hurt"

"Your knees are bleeding."

Eli couldn't see past the giant mound of black. He couldn't feel anything.

"Oliver, patrol outside." Monroe's voice interrupted his thoughts. "Evan, take his place. Mary, how are we looking?" he spoke in that cheery way that doctors do when trying not to scare children.