Chapter Eight

"I love this place" Eli hummed to himself as he came out of the diner.

"Me too" Cameron's voice startled him. He jerked around to see Cameron and Kayla leaning against the building. "You always talk to yourself?"

Cameron's last comment of 'good boy' ran through Eli's head. "I met your brother last night"

Cameron raised an eyebrow, looking surprised. Kayla glanced up from her phone, with a similar expression. "Really?" She came over from the other side of Cameron, "where?"

Eli immediately chided himself. The more people who knew where he was last night the more likely it could get back to his dad. Given how Kayla and Noah were friends, he didn't want to risk it. "Oh you know" Eli moved his eyes away from her, "just around?"

"Around where exactly?" Cameron pressed, Eli saw his gaze on him out of the corner of his eye.

"Just around, don't you know where your brother usually hangs out?"

"I doubt you were in his room," Cameron answered, his tone discontent "but who knows, you can be very forward"

"Aw, would that make you jealous?"

"It would make me something"

Eli couldn't help but look back. He was expecting Cameron's amused expression, the one he wore when he was teasing Eli. There wasn't one. Eli tried to gleam what exactly he'd meant, but Cameron merely stared back at him without revealing anything.

"Noah's here" Kayla interrupted the silence.

Eli ignored his confusion, and examined the jeep pulling up. "What's he doing here?"

"Picking us up" Kayla answered before bounding towards the car.

Eli looked to Cameron for further explanation. "He's having people over, and we needed a lift."

"People?"

"Big group"

"He's having a party?"

"No, just a gathering" Cameron kicked off from the wall and started walking towards the jeep. Eli hesitated before following. "He didn't tell you?"

"If he had I wouldn't be asking you"

Cameron glanced back, and this time there was amusement curving the corners of his lips.

"Sorry" Eli apologised, "I didn't mean to snap"

"Its fine" Cameron, "you're usually moody when we talk"

Eli scowled at him. "I'm not-"

"There it is" Cameron nudged him with him with his shoulder.

Eli forced his mouth shut before another angry retort came out. He glared up at Cameron, who looked delighted with the response.

"What?" He taunted, "cat got your tongue?"

"Just get in the car" Eli refused to look at him as he climbed into the backseat. Kaylen had already claimed the front. As he put on his seatbelt he caught Noah frowning in his direction. He waited for him to say something, but he didn't.

Eli tried to shake off the feeling of unease that settled into his skin, bringing his nerves to high alert. He noticed Cameron glance between the two of them, and he wondered if he picked up on something. Eli also figured that's why Noah didn't say anything, there were other people present.

As they pulled away from the diner Noah and Kayla fell into conversation, and Cameron turned to Eli. "How was it?"

Eli's recalled his short time at the party last night. "How was what?"