Chapter Eleven

"What did you say to Noah?" It was the first thing Cameron asked when Eli approached him after the final bell.

Eli jolted and made a U-turn. "I'll be back in five minutes"

He left to the sound of Cameron snickering.

Noah was still at his locker, so Eli didn't even have to chase him down in the parking lot. "Hey, you can head home without me."

"Are you sure?" Noah glanced at his sling, "the painkillers will be wearing off pretty soon"

Eli nodded as if he'd actually taken them, "I'll be okay for a few hours. See you later."

"Will you get back with Sinclair, or should I come pick you up later? I have training until seven."

"I'll get a lift back" Eli walked backwards away from him, "And I'm hanging out with Cameron, not Sinclair."

Noah's shoulders tightened "What?" His voice came out sharp.

Eli froze. He studied Noah with a quick glance, but the ease he'd been speaking with a moment ago was completely gone. His lips were drawn into a tight line and the whites of his knuckles showed as he clenched the door of his locker. "Is something wrong with that?" Eli spoke lightly, keeping any bite out of his words.

Noah opened his mouth, but then closed it again. He turned his head sharply to his locker and closed it with a bang. Eli jumped at the sound. "I think it's better if you come home"

"Why?"

"You need rest, it was hardly even a day ago and the doctors said-"

"You didn't mind five seconds ago" Eli cut him off. Noah's jaw clenched. It may have been the pounding in his head, but Eli didn't immediately regret irritating Noah like he usually did. He was too annoyed to be sorry. Being spoken to like a child was annoying. Being snapped at was annoying. Walking on eggshells was annoying. Eli fought to remind himself that he had to get along with Noah. "I'll see you later"

It came out short, but there wasn't much attitude. He didn't think so anyway.

Cameron was still sitting on the bench next to his locker. His head was tilted back, with his eyes closed, but he inclined his head towards Eli as he walked closer. "Ready?"

"Are you?" Eli sat down next to him.

"I could do with a nap" Cameron sighed.

"You can head home if you want"

Cameron opened his eyes, looking at Eli with a 'yeah right'. "Still trying to avoid me?"

"I haven't been avoiding me"

"Uhhuh" Cameron gave himself a quick shake, then abruptly hopped off the bench. "Let's go"

They hardly spoke in the car. Possibly because Eli immediately put the radio onto full blast, and Cameron only gave him an amused look without turning it down. Eli recognised the route he took as the same Sinclair had used the other night. Eventually pulled into a deserted, dirt parking lot. Eli looked around at the scrapped cars, and overgrown pavements before turning to Cameron.

Cameron shut off the car, and silenced the radio. "The food here is great"

"Liquid dinner is always fantastic" Eli agreed.

Cameron snorted as he hopped out of the car, "They do food too" he came around to Eli's side and opened the door. "Get out"

Eli didn't move, gazing at the paint peeling off the door of the building in front of them.