Girl Gang

"Mai"

I said as the tall pale girl entered the room. 

"My princess."

She replied, immediately falling to her knees. Admittedly, I had missed this type of reaction that people gave me. It held so much power, like nothing I ever felt as a non-bender in the North. My face fell slightly as I thought about the North and how I had changed because of my time there. 

"Rise", I said while standing up from my chair in the large empty room. "Is that anyway to greet an old friend?"

Mai looked relieved as she stood up and walked towards me. I embraced her in a hug and then quickly let go. 

"Mai, I heard that the Avatar was traveling to this town to meet an old friend."

Mai nodded and confirmed my suspicions that he was here to find King Bumi, to teach him earth bending. 

"As I feared. We will need to call in a team of elite fighters to help defeat the Avatar." I paused for a second before turning back to Mai. "Have you heard from Ty Lee lately?"

Mai informed me that Ty Lee was currently traveling with the circus, but would send a hawk to her to report to New Ozai immediately. Mai turned to leave the room before I called out to her. 

"Mai, please send a hawk to my sister as well. We will need her to help us catch the Avatar."

Mai nodded as she left the room, leaving me by myself. I looked down at my neck to see my ruby necklace still there. It reminded me of the simpler times, but even more, why I was meant to be here, ruling, rather than running from my fate with a Northerner. I sighed and stood up, the wooden chair scratching against the floor. As I exited the room, I overheard a strange conversation between guards of a new disease called 'pentapox', and how suddenly large amounts of the common people were being infected by it. 

"Excuse me". I interrupted the guards. The immediately fell to their knees. 

"My princess!" They both exclaimed. 

"Tell me more about this 'pentapox' please."

                                                                                         ***

I stood awaiting my sister and Ty Lee's arrival with Mai by my side. A large exodus of the commoners infected with the so called disease had begun, and they had taken Mai's youngest brother, Tom-Tom, with them. I suspected that the disease was a ploy for the commoners to exit the city, as a resistance had risen after our army had taken over the city. Honestly, I wasn't too worried about them. They would never come to be Fire Nation citizens, however I was worried about the new trio of people who had been spotted around town leading the "infected" into the sewers. My little birds had been doing some great spying, and it seems that the Avatar was the one leading these people. The sound of the large metal door opening distracted me from my thoughts. 

"Sozia!" I heard an overly cheerful and excited voice squeal.  Ty Lee had not changed from when I last saw her. Of course she had grown, but her personality had not. Fortunately enough for me, her skills on chi blocking had grown immensely.  I smiled at her, but my smile fell when I saw my sister walk through the door. 

"Azula." I said, with little emotion in my voice. Her deeds in the Fire Nation during my absence has not escaped me. It seemed that she had taken the liberty to try and take over my place, thinking that I would not come back from my mission finding the Avatar. Azula said nothing, but looked to the ground. I glared at her, my eyes feeling like they could burn through her. Surely I would talk to her alone later. I snapped my gaze away from her a forced a small smile on my face.