Canary!

The last thing I remembered from that night was talking to Mick about how excited I was that Leonard was okay, I must've dozed off because I was having my first dreamless night in months when I heard "Sara." I wasn't awake yet when "Sara." I kept hearing my name, "Canary!" I jolted upright "What, yeah, I'm up?" I rubbed my eyes as my vision sharpened to Leonard looking over at me, bruised and scratched up, he just laughed at me for a minute, "Mick helped me get cleaned up, after you fell asleep." I smiled at him as I apologized for falling asleep.

We sat there in silence for a bit until he looked at my left hand which I had rested on my knee, "Engaged now?" he looked up at me with his black eye, "What?" it didn't register with me at first, "The ring on your finger." he looked down at my hand again, "Oh, sorry," I started as I took it off, "No, it's yours," I reached out to hand it to him, "Do you want it back?" he reached over and grabbed it from my hand, "Don't get me wrong it looks better on you, but I'm sentimental according to what you think." I laughed at his little joke. "Well someone's feeling chatty after coming back from the dead." he laughed at my joke too.

We sat in silence for a while until I got the nerve up to ask about the kiss we shared, he just smiled, I looked down and didn't say anything for a minute, I felt like an idiot when he didn't reply and I was about to get up and leave when he spoke finally "I loved it." I felt my cheeks flush and I looked up to see his smile grew and that he was looking straight at me, "I missed you." I admitted, "I know, Mick told me what Gideon spilled, you asking about me every night for a few weeks." his smile turned into a smirk as my face grew even warmer than it was after his reply about the kiss.

He reached his hand over and grabbed mine, "You know you're even more beautiful when you're embarrassed." I just enjoyed his skin touching mine, no matter how rough his hands were, they felt amazing, I didn't pull my hand back, I didn't accept or deny his touch, I just enjoyed it, he was holding my hand, "I didn't figure you'd be one to hold anyone's hand Leonard." I smiled at him as he adjusted himself further up in the examination chair, "I'm usually not, but then again, I'm not the same cold hearted bastard you once met." I laced my fingers between his as he pulled my hand up to his lips and kissed my hand.

Leonard asked me to help him to his room after a while of just sitting in silence holding hands, we were walking to his quarters as Ray passed us, "Need some help Sara?" "No thanks Ray I'm just making sure Leonard can get into bed." he shook his head and walked pass us, "It's like I have my own hot nurse." I gave him a dirty look as he said that "So you think I'm hot and beautiful now?" he just smiled in return.

I helped him into bed, careful not to hurt his broken ribs, "Those Timemasters really did a number on you didn't they?" He just nodded, as he laid down, "They wanted to know where you all would go afterward, I wouldn't tell them, so they tried to get it out of me." I laid my hand on his shoulder, then turned to walk out of the room, I was about to tell him goodnight as he called my name, "Stay with me for a bit, please" I smiled and turned around as he scooted over in the bed, "Just for a while." He looked into my eyes and smirked, I couldn't resist the offer so I did just want he wanted, I stayed.

He unexpectedly grabbed my hand for a second time, since we all rescued him, we sat in silence as I got more and more tired with each time he ran his thumb across the side of my hand, I was on the edge of unconsciousness when I heard him say something I never thought I'd hear someone like him say, "I love you Sara." I woke up the next morning not knowing if it was real or a dream, he was beside me, we were in his quarters, I looked down to see that my hand was still entwined in his, "Good morning Captain." Leonard was staring at me, "I'm sorry I didn't know I fell asleep here." my face turned red and I pulled back the blankets to leave, but he grabbed my wrist before I could, "I enjoyed the company." I sat back down and he let go of my wrist, "Were you watching me sleep?" "Only for about an hour." He smiled at my accusation.