3. Remembering Greninja

"Hey Ash, today afterschool we're going shopping for more food." Kukui stated, handing Ash his breakfast.

Ash furrowed his eyebrow and stuck out his tongue, "Aw man..."

"Ash." Kukui warned, sitting next to him. "Sorry Dad." Ash apologized, stuffing his face with cereal.

He didn't know what to tell Ash. He was quite uncomfortable, but he didn't exactly hate it. If it were anyone else, he'd tell them that he didn't like it, but with Ash, it seems right.

He began eating himself before it got too late. "Ash, can I ask you a question?" Kukui asked.

"Shoot." Ash answered, finishing his breakfast. "Why're you calling me Dad? Not that I don't like it or anything but don't you have a dad already?" Kukui asked, eating his cereal.

Ash visibly hesitated at that, "I do, I just never knew him because he left me and my mom a few years old. He told my mom he would come back, but he never did... I don't remember him so if he were right in front of me... I wouldn't know..."

Kukui also stopped, just staring at Ash. Ash gripped his pants tightly, the tears already falling. "My mom swore she'd never let another man get in the way of her raising me. She got so many proposals, but she refused them all so I would have a happy life." Ash continued.

"I am so sorry Ash." Kukui said, hugging Ash tightly. Ash hugged back, "I traveled through 7 regions, I never found him. He probably never cared anyway."

"Hey, it's okay Ash, you have so many friends and a loving mother, don't let one missing person break you life apart. Okay? I'm here for you." Kukui said, hugging Ash tighter.

"Thanks Dad..." Ash said, the tears stopping. Kukui pulled away and wiped his tears, "No problem Satoshi."

He then kissed his forehead, "Don't worry. I won't ever leave you." Ash relaxed at that and nodded, Pikachu jumping on his lap and hugging him.

"Now go finish getting ready." Kukui said, finishing his cereal. Ash ran to the bathroom and quickly brushed his teeth.

He ran out and grabbed his backpack. Rowlet and Nebby were already snoozing inside it. He made a quick sandwich for lunch and ran out the door, "Bye Dad!"

Time skip

"Alright. Today, we'll be watching an actual recording of The Kalos League from the previous year. Specifically, the finals." Kukui said, turning to his 6 students.

Ash looked like he saw his world explode, "Wh-wh-what?"

"Didn't you compete in the Kalos League?" Kiawe asked.

Ash nodded sharply, "I won second place."

Ash breathed in as he began playing the recording.

"Go Tyranitar!" Alain called as Pikachu's cheeks sparked.

Time skip

They all gasped as Ash-Greninja 2, tears flowing down his cheeks.

"Ash are you okay?" Lana asked.

Ash nodded and wiped the tears, smiling, "Fine."

Kukui could tell that boy's smile was fake. But he couldn't get involved at this delicate stage.

"So Ash... where is that Pokémon? What's it called? Gregin?" Sophocles asked.

"Greninja. And it's in Kalos." Ash said.

"Why in Kalos?" Kiawe asked.

"See... um... I tend to bring danger everywhere I go. First with Mew and Mewtwo fighting and the Legendary Birds fighting in Kanto, Celebi almost dying in Johto, Latios dying, Lucario dying, Mew almost dying, Arceus almost wiping Humans from existance, Hoopa causing destruction, et cetera." Ash says with a quick hand motion.

"Also, I may or may not have ticked off Team Rocket, Magma, Aqua, Galactic, Plasma and especially Flare." Ash muttered.

"Hm. So that's why you were in such a rush to battle Team Skull on your first day here in Alola." Kukui said.

"Anyway, I'm getting off topic. The reason Greninja is in Kalos is because when I lost to Alain, I found out he had been working im secret for Team Flare. Mairin, one of his close friends, well, her Chespin absorbed some of Zygarde's energy, putting it in a coma-like state." Ash explained.

"He began working for Team Flare to try to help Chespie. When we came into contact with an admin, I was about to walk away, dragging him too... my mistake... he pulled his arm out of my reach and allowed the admin to attack me." Ash spat.

He hadn't forgiven Alain for what he had done. He wasn't going to.

"It used Confuse Ray and I was knocked out with Pikachu. When I woke up, all of my Pokémon were in these weird restrains with me in mid air. Greninja was below me and Lysandre was watching me wake up. He explained that the giant roots that were attacking Lumiose were all because of Z2, Zygarde." Ash said.

"Squishy, or Z1, was currently with Bonnie, one of my friends. We had been taking care of it without knowing it was a Zygarde cell. Well, Lysandre tried to use the Mega Evolution energy to control the bond between me and Greninja to use Ash-Greninja to his advantage. He wanted me to become a 'Chosen One' that woud lead society after he destroyed most of it. I almost lost. If I hadn't hear Pikachu telling me not to give up, I'd be under Lysandre's control." Ash said, scratching Pikachu under the chin.

Ash sighed, "After all of that was dealt with, we were walking to the airport after leaving my Goodra at the wetlands where it belonged, (it keeps order there), one of the vines attacked us. If Greninja hadn't seen it and came out of its Pokéball, we wouldn't've known. Anyway... Squishy asked Greninja to stay... in Kalos to remove the vines... I allowed Greninja to choose... it decided to stay and help..."

Ash was slowly getting slower and slower at talking.

The bell rang and they rushed ut for lunch.

"So then why are you so sad?" Kukui asked after everyone filed out.

Ash shrugged, "For some reason... I think... I think Lysandre's coming back..."

"What if he does?" Kukui asked.

"We'll be ready." Ash said, determination in his voice and eyes.

Kukui smiled and watched as Ash ran off, "That's my boy..."