Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

"Miss, Hallie, what are you doing all the way out here?" Bart asked as he stepped up and grabbed the reins of her brown mare.

"I came to see your smiling face of course," Hallie replied with a happy smile. She had always loved this old man. His wrinkled black skin was worn with age and his stiff, short hair a covering of snow white atop his head. He had the most inviting smile and the kindest big brown eyes of anyone she had ever met.

"Well now, I'll just pretend that I believe that," Bart stated as he reached out and took her hand to help her down. "But is there something else I can do for you other than flash a little smile?"

Hallie dismounted and adjusted the bonnet on her head, "Actually I was hoping to speak with Connor. Is he around close?" she asked, hoping that Connor wouldn't be out in the fields.

"Sure, darlin'," Bart replied. "He's in the third barn over there."

"Thank you, Bart."

"No problem, miss Hallie. I'll just hitch your horse up over there in the shade for you."

Hallie nodded her thanks and then headed for the barn that Connor was in. She held her shoulders back and her head high. Most folks in town whispered behind her back because of her relationship with Jamison but Hallie was a proud woman and nothing made her lower her head with shame. She entered the barn and saw Connor at the other end. He had his shirt pulled off and his back was slicked with sweat as he raked clean hay into a stall.

"Hello, cousin," Hallie called. He turned quickly and flashed her a crooked smile as he leaned the rake against the wall and pulled his bandana from his pants pocket.

He wiped his face clean and walked toward her, "Hello, Hallie," he greeted. "What brings you out here today?"

"Actually, I need to talk with you about something,"

Connor frowned and leaned his shoulder against a wooden beam next to him, "I don't like the sound of that. Anytime you ever say you need to talk to me about something it's always bad. It was always bad as children and I'm sure that means it's bad nowadays."

Hallie shrugged and pulled off her riding gloves, shoving them deep into the pocket of her skirt, "That would depend on what you consider to be bad, I assume. It is not a three month drought or a raging twister."

Connor shook his head and eyed her skeptically, "Then what is it?" Hallie bit her lip and then crossed her arms over her chest and looked him in the eye, "I may or may not have told a man that you were my new beau in order to pay him back."

Connor shook his head, "I know some people that'll court their cousins but I just ain't one of those," he teased with a grin, "Who exactly did you tell this to? Some old drunk in town that wouldn't leave you alone?" Hallie offered him a placating smile and smoothed her hands over her skirt, "Actually it was Jamison McEllis," she said without meeting his gaze. She saw his eyes bulge and his face pale, "U.S. Marshal Jamison McEllis?!" he demanded, his voice becoming more high pitched than normal.

"Yes, that's the only Jamison McEllis I know," she replied innocently.

"Jesus H. Christ, you little pain in the ass!" Connor exclaimed. "The same Jamison McEllis you've been head over heels over for the last nine years? The same Jamison McEllis that took on seven gang members at once and was the last man left standing."

"Yes that one," Hallie replied simply. "And it was eight not seven," she added quietly.

Connor threw his hands in the air, "That makes me feel so much better!" he exclaimed. "That man will kill me for sure!"