Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

"Babysit? You gotta be out of your mind. I don't sit babies," Ian stated as he flopped himself down on the couch. It was Thursday and all week someone had been at the house constantly to watch Madeline but today Bethany and Andrew were going together to some more appointments to prepare for the wedding Saturday, Cavanaugh had gotten a paying job mowing several yards since he said he didn't like sitting around and doing nothing while using Nicole's money, Nicole had to work and so did Leslie. That left Ian.

"Nicole, I can just call in," Leslie said doubtfully as she entered the living room. "He doesn't seem like he can take care of Madeline." Hell as far as Leslie could tell, Ian seemed to have trouble taking care of himself and he didn't seem to like her or her daughter very much.

"Wait just a damn minute!" Ian exclaimed as he stood back up. "I guarantee I can watch that girl just as good as the rest of you can."

Nicole nodded, "They'll do fine," she assured Leslie.

Leslie hesitated before finally sighing with defeat. She needed to work all the hours she could and save up the money she could. She wanted to pay Nicole rent and she also needed to save up to pay the lawyer for her divorce from Frank. Other than being a little on the grouchy side and having a bit of a lazy streak, Ian didn't seem like a bad man. And Leslie trusted Nicole's judgment. If she thought that Ian would be okay to watch Madeline then Leslie would trust her.

It wasn't until twenty minutes later when Ian found himself alone with Madeline that he wondered what exactly he'd been thinking. He sat on the couch and the girl sat in the chair with her head in her hands as they stared each other down.

"I'm bored," Madeline stated.

"You look like a girl to me," Ian replied as he leaned back against the soft couch cushion and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Are you gonna play with me?"

"How about we watch some television?" Ian offered and Madeline nodded before jumping from the chair and crawling up on the couch beside him. Ian grumbled at her closeness and then grabbed the remote and clicked the television on. He found a show that he knew she liked. It looked like some kind of talking piece of holey cheese who had a fat pink friend and a buck toothed squirrel girlfriend, but if it kept her quiet then Ian would keep it on.

Ian found himself smiling when Madeline scooted closer to him and giggled at the television. Then he quickly replaced that smile with a scowl. He was determined not to let this girl get under his skin. Her or her mother. All week he'd managed to keep his distance but now he and the kid were going to be alone for at least six hours.

Ian was a damn outlaw. A lawbreaking, rule bending man who took what he wanted, hurt who he wanted and never looked back. He sure as hell wasn't the type of man who let a cute little five year old get the better of him.

They watched episode after episode of the talking cheese show and finally Madeline looked up at him, "I'm hungry."

Ian raised his brow as he glanced down at her innocent, round face and shrugged, "So?"

Madeline rolled her big blue eyes, "So go cook for me."

Ian laughed and shook his head, "You go cook."

"I'm a kid!" Madeline exclaimed.

"A girl kid... You're like a woman, only smaller. So go cook." Madeline glared at him and then threw herself back against the couch with a sigh, "Mommy was right."