Chapter 12

Ending 1, part 1

Sitting there at the start of the maze felt like torture. Waiting is the most painstaking task anyone can do, the unknown inevitable. My foot was bouncing up and down, and I playing with my fingers. My nerves getting the best of me. It felt like there was a weight on my lungs, making it a challenge to breath.

Many thoughts ran through my head. that I should leave, or that I should stop thinking that they were coming back. That they had somehow disappeared into thin air.

But then the words that Cedric had mumbled to me replayed in my head "I will find my back to you, I promise" just thinking of his words gave me hope, and the strength to wait out his return.

A few more minutes passed before anything happened. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them. They were here, they made it.

I was overjoyed. They had made it back to me. I hug Fleur in delight, laughing in relief "They did it!" I breath out, happy.

Fleur pulls away, and looks me in the eye "before you turn around, I want you to know that there are people right here who love you, forever and always. They will never leave you and will always care about you"

My brow furrows in confusion "what? what are you saying?" I turn around, and freeze. It was like my mind had chosen not to process what had happened when they reappeared. I felt my stomach drop. The scene in front of me felt unreal... Like I was watching the scene unravel through someone else's eyes. Almost dream like.

They say dreams are simulations your brain makes, so when a situation like that happens in real life, you would know what to do. Sadly, there was no dream that had prepared me for this situation.

It was like everything was playing in slow motion, then someone had sped it back up. The band had stopped playing, everyone in the crowds became silent. Harry was hunched over Cedric, sobbing. Cedric's father had run over to them, and began caressing his dead son in his arms. Many people tried to pry them off of his body, but in the end they gave up. Harry eventually got dragged off, but Cedric's father stayed.

I began to tremble, my chin shaking as tears began to form in my eyes. I wasn't even aware that my feet had commanded me to move, but here I stand now, at the side of Cedric.

I can see someone move to pull me away from the corner of my eye, but I put my hand up, telling them don't bother.

I sink down to my knees, looking at Amos. We share a look, the same look of despair, sadness, and numbness.

That's when I began to sob.

It was uncontrollable, I could barely breath. The sadness I felt deep in my throat, and I couldn't stop. It felt like all of the happiness had drained from every fibre of my body, replaced with doom and sadness.

I just felt so sad. It hurt to cry, but it hurt not to. It hurt to think that I would never here him laugh, talk, or even cry again. I would never feel his warm embrace in the cold, never feel his warm hand on my cold cheek, and never be able to kiss him ever again.

He was violently taken from me, and I would never get him back.

I reach out with my hand and cup his cheek. His smile no longer there, his warmth gone. I try and study his face through the tears. A face that made me feel safe, strong, and loved. A man who loved me for who I truly was, flaws and all.