-Strange Training Methods-

Marlyn carried the box of equipment she was assigned to her room. She shivered when she thought about the murderous scowl the Black Widow had shot at her when she was told that the Black  Widow would be training her. She always thought the Black Widow would be a wise warrior, a kind face, not the murderous, paranoid woman she had just met.

  She sighed, flopping on her soft bed. Training starts at four, tomorrow morning, the Black Widow insisted there was to much work to be done to start any later.
  I will just take a short nap... she thought as she drifted into a deep, comfortable sleep.

                                                      ---

  She started awake,
  I'M LATE! her mind screamed.
  She glanced at the clock, it was three in the morning. She sighed in relief.
  Pulling on her uniform and tying up her hair as fast as she could, she intended on impressing her instructor today. Shoving a granola bar in her mouth, she rushed out the door.

  The Black Widow must have expected her to arrive early because she was already there, scowling at the window.
  "You're later than I expected, Marlyn" She said without looking up.
  "I'm sorry, Black Widow" Marlyn responded, dipping her head.
  "Oh for God's sake!" Said the Black Widow, throwing her arms up in exasperation. "Just call me Natasha, nobody actually calls me the 'Black Widow'"
  "Yes... Natasha," Marlyn tried, tentatively.
  Natasha nodded, "Now first things first, you need a tour of the base. We can't have you getting lost again."
  Marlyn heard a cough and spun around to see Gwen. Gwen smiled reassuringly and waved.
  "Gwen is coming with us," Natasha continued. "To make sure I don't murder you."
  "Natasha," Gwen scolded. "You wouldn't kill a new recruit." Her only response was a shrug.

  The tour took three hours and most of it slipped in one ear and out the other. Gwen silently handed her a map after the tour.
  "In order for you to help us take on HYDRA, you must be in peak condition." Natasha explained. She wrinkled her nose at Marlyn. It does not seem that you are,"

  She chucked a knife at Marlyn's head, Gwen screamed but Marlyn ducked just in time. She picked up the knife slowly.
  "So this is how you train at SHIELD?" she asked.
  "Survival of the quickest." Natasha responded with a glint in her eye.
  Marlyn charged at Natasha, rolling between her legs at the last second, slashing at her calves. Natasha caught her bun and slammed her back to the ground. She held a dagger over Marlyn's head, ready to drop it but Marlyn rolled out of reach, throwing her off balance.
  Marlyn jumped up, eyeing Natasha warily.
  "Your fighting style is very unique." Natasha remarked.
  Marlyn shrugged. "I had unique teachers."
  Natasha lunged, pinning her to the ground.
  "Lesson one, the odds are in your favor when you make the first move-"
  Marlyn smacked her in the jaw. "Distract them with words." She said, finishing Natasha's sentence.
  Natasha's eyes flashed with anger, she kneed Marlyn hard in the stomach.
  "And watch yourself when you are in the weak position."

  Marlyn grimaced. She grabbed the assassin's arms and threw her off. To her surprise, Natasha had landed on her feet.
  She did a back flip to a standing position. Holding her knife at the ready. She lunged but Natasha side stepped, making a tsk sound.
  "Silly girl, you can't use my own moves on me."

  "Okay, okay," Gwen intervened, waving her hands between the two women. "I think we have learned some valuable lessons today and you have proven your superiority, Natasha."
  Marlyn picked herself up off the ground. "Thanks for the lesson ma'am." She said. Natasha wrinkled her nose at Marlyn. As much as it had hurt, she enjoyed the thrill and finally having competition.

She knew she would be learning a lot from the Black Widow.