Prologue: He named me

“Father is in pain,” Jonathan’s ten year old self whispers to me. He had me in his arms and was attempting to rock me to sleep. Father broke my wrist again and gave me another black eye over the one that had already started fading. He paid his doctor friend not to tell anyone though, that way he wouldn't be taken away. “He doesn't mean to do these things to you”

“Hmm” I say and begin to twirl his steel silver cross around my stubby six year old fingers. Jonathan said he believed in God, but he never went to church like some of father's friends do.

“I know, how about we give you name?” he suggests. I stare at the cross on around my fingers and shrug.

“Father... won't let it…” I mutter, struggling to get the words out. Father forbids me to speak, but Jonathan still taught me, but only a little. Enough to keep it a secret from father.

“Well, it'll be our little secret, just for you and me, how about it?” I look up at him. I always thought my brother very handsome with his mix of brown at blonde hair that was always ruffled in many directions and brighter green eyes than mine. Even that scar he had across his right eye was also beautiful on him, but then again, I always did have a soft spot for scars and wounds. I reach up to where the scar starts on his eyebrow and begin to gently lead my finger down, he closes his eye and allows me to trace the scar. I stop, along with the scar, just under his eye. Father gave this to him two years ago with his pocket knife, his doctor friend said Jonathan would still be able to see out of his eye, that the knife had missed coming into contact with his eyeball by just a millimeter.

“Jon-a-than” Just like every other word I say, I sound strange when I say his name. I want to say it right, but I can't. Sometimes I lay at night and wonder if Jonathan and I are related, he seems too amazing, while I am nothing.

“Yes, that is my name,” he says and smiles down at me. “What shall yours be?” I shrug. He looks up at the ceiling in thought and I just lay there in his arms, twirling the cross once more. All of a sudden he snaps his fingers making me jump with fright. “Sorry!” he quickly apologizes. I take a deep breath and snuggle closer to him as I wait for him to explain. He places the tip of his finger against my forehead gently and smiles, “You're name will be…”