Chapter ten: Stuck with each other

“What should we do now?” Dylan asks. I'm currently out with the rest of the brothers at the same amusement park that Christian took me to, and before you ask: Yes, I was forced out of bed to come to a place full of screaming children and conspicuous teenagers.

I sigh and allow myself to be dragged to yet another ride. I look up at the large contraption they like to call a roller-coaster. I groan as the brothers force me to stand in line with them.

“This gonna be so much fun!” Christian says enthusiastically.

“Shut up your voice irritates me.” Sean pipes in while placing his hands behind his head.

“That's mean!” Christian whines.

“Both of you shut up!” Dylan demands in frustration. They all soon begin to bicker. I roll my eyes and scan the crowds of people, all with smiles, except for the whining children and frustrated parents. I almost gag when I catch sight of girls eyeing the boys and batting their lashes at them, if only they knew.

I feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I notice someone's eyes on me. I can practically feel their stare, after a moment with the same result, I finally decide to look over.

Soon, my eyes land on a lone figure. My eyes widen as I take in his roughed up appearance. His disheveled hair and rugged clothes are the same as they've always been, and that monstrous grin still forces fear into my heart, as do those intense hazel eyes that have haunted my worst dreams.

We stare at each other, one in panic and the other in triumphant. He points a crooked finger at me and signals me over. My lip trembles and fresh tears prick the edges of my eyes. His face grows angry as he motions me over, and I find myself sneaking away from the brothers as they continue to bicker with each other.

What the hell are you doing?!, I scream at myself. I want to stop, but my legs seem to be moving on their own towards the monster I call my father, but just before I am able to reach him, someone comes up behind me and pulls me by my arm. I look up and find myself face to face with Sebastian.

“Rebecca, what's wrong?” he asks. “Are you hurt?” he questions with worry as he eyes me up and down for injuries of some sort. I feel my heartbeat quicken and my face get hot when the wind brings the scent of lavender our way. I shake my head slowly, he nods stiffly and begins to lead me away. I look back to see my father has disappeared, did I imagine him? Maybe the basement really has messed me up in some way. He seemed so real though...I must be losing my mind.

***

The day ended with us going on many rides, eating junk food (Much to Vincent and Sebastian’s dismay), and then going back to the house.

I wrap the comforter around me tightly. I don't let Christian sleep with me anymore even though I do miss his warmth sometimes. I sigh and shiver underneath the blanket, I still feel scared after what I saw or think I saw.

Could he have found me somehow? Has he known all along? Or maybe...did...did Jonathan tell him? Would he really betray me like this again? He couldn't have...right?

I roll onto my back and look up at the ceiling. If Jonathan really betrayed me once again, and my father has found me...I'll have to make a choice: Run or Fight.

I know what will happen to me if I go back. I know what he'll do to me. I ran away, I'll be punished, then I'll be forced to marry my own brother.

But then that leaves the what ifs? What if I fight and lose? What if I'm not strong enough? What if...I win?

It's a long shot, but it has to be better than giving up willingly.

And tonight I make myself promise to myself that I will never go down without a fight, even if it means going up against the man who has haunted my nightmares for most of my life.

‘You're weak!’ his voice echos in my head. ‘You'll lose and I'll win, because I will always be stronger than you, and you'll always be weak and alone!’

“Sorry, father, but I can't let you win this time,” I whisper into the air. “And I'm not alone, not this time.”

Saying these words adds so much more risks and what ifs into the mix, but I said them anyway. If these brothers really do “Love me” then they'll help me, and if they won't, I'm just fine with doing it on my own.

I think of each brother in turn and my heartbeat seems to quicken when I think of one in specific.

No, you can't think of such things right now, I mentally scold myself. You have to stay focused.

I jump when the sound of light knocking fills my ears and sit up just in time to see Christian slowly opening the door. He stares at his feet and closes the door behind him before going to the other side of the bed and laying down under the covers beside me. He has his back turned to me and curls himself into a ball. I roll my eyes and without thinking, I lean over and lightly pecked the top of his head before laying back down and closing my eyes. I feel his arms wrap around me shortly after, his warmth enveloping me once again making me smile. I place my head on his chest as he begins to softly snore.

All these brothers are so different yet similar in a sense:

Christian for example, is sweet, but also demanding. He's the obvious runt in the family, but all he wants is to be loved.

Dylan is the usual cool kid who likes to hide his emotions until it comes to something he really wants. He fights with Sean, but I know he actually cares about him in someway that he tries to hide.

Sebastian is the smart one who finds art and things like that interesting and life changing. He has more in common with Vincent, but likes to be his own person and doesn't let his emotions choose all of his actions like the rest of his brothers.

Sean on the other hand is a complete hot head with a sadistic smile, and has a thing for daddy kinks. He tries to act all dominate to hide the fact that he actually needs someone to keep him calm. He wants to be loved, but doesn't know how to start, so he just forces it instead.

Vincent is basically the boss of everyone and seems to be the only one who Sean actually listens to. He hides his dark colors with a smile and the image of a family man. When he started noticing that he fell for me, he tried to control that feeling, maybe even dispose of it, but by trying to do so, he started to lash out and revealed his true colors. He seems to be haunted by something, and that must have made him the person he is today, how unfortunate.

Aziel is different than all his brothers. He understands pain and our silent communication. He seems to give most the cold shoulder, and his style makes others steer clear of him, but there is still a warmth within him that no one seems to or want to understand. He likes to be on his own, and even though he's Christian’s twin, they couldn't be more different.

These brothers that I have no hope in getting rid of are now also without hope of getting rid of me. I don't think we'll ever be able to separate from each other now. There really is no hope for any of us, not anymore.