Chapter nine: Isolation, a swim, and a melting heart

“She hasn't left her room since we got back from Jonathan’s hotel room,” I hear one of the brothers whisper to the rest. They all murmured their agreements and I listen to their schemes of how to get me out and about, but I do my best to tune out their voices.

It was like all the bad memories of my brother were set free to roam my mind. I know what he was doing and planning was bad, but I can't bring myself to hate my brother. I must be as messed up as he is. I love my brother, but not the way he loves me.

I internally groan and shut my eyes when I hear the brothers open the door and come into the room one by one. They whisper to each other. Why can't they just leave me alone? I want to be alone, can't they see that?

“Rebecca, are you sleeping?” Christian asks cautiously. Sean scoffs.

No, she's training to die!” he replies sarcastically.

“Shut up!” Christian whines, obviously unable to come up with a good comeback. Sean notices and snickers at his brother who huffs in defeat.

I jump and the brothers gasp when a loud crash fills the room. I roll my eyes and sit up, no way I can pretend to have slept through that one. I rub my eyes and a yawn escaped my lips as I look around. All the brothers were looking at Aziel who had pushed over the dresser.

“Aziel, what the hell was that?!” Dylan demands.

Aziel shrugs, boredom evident in his posture, then he points a finger at me. “Now we for sure know that she's awake.” he states plainly.

All the brothers were now looking at me. They looked at a loss for words, surprising, after all that scheming and debating they'd done before coming in.

“A-Are you hungry?” Christian asks. I shake my head.

“Thirsty?” Sebastian suggests. I shake my head.

“Wanna...watch tv?” Dylan asks. I shake my head.

“Wanna have sex with daddy?” Sean asks out of the blue with a shrug. All his brothers glare at him, but he just looks back at them smugly.

“Really, Sean?” Sebastian deadpans. Sean shrugs and places his hands behind his head comfortably.

“Worth a shot.” he says with a sigh.

“Wanna...fuck, I don't know anything else!” Dylan shouts startling me. “Sorry.”

“Are we really that boring?” Christian questions with a raised eyebrow. They all look at each other, willing each other to say something, anything. “Arcade?” He suggests, hopeful, I shake my head and he sighs.

“Party?” Dylan suggests next. I refuse with a sigh, must all these things involve people. I just want to be alone. I place a hand on my head in annoyance at their presence. They all continue bickering with each other as they try to come up with other things when Aziel suddenly takes a seat next to me on the bed and lays back, obviously feeling down. He doesn't look over at me, and makes no attempt to touch me like the others would have. Does he notice my want for isolation?

I clench my jaw when a sudden warm feeling takes control of my heart. I've been feeling that a lot lately, but can't seem to find its source.

I'm pulled from my train of thought when one of the brothers snap their fingers, “How about a swim?”

I was about to refuse when Vincent interrupted by saying, “If you say no to this then we'll have no choice, but to decide something ourselves and I'm sure you wouldn't want that.”

I scowl at him. Hurt fills his eyes, but he soon masks it and becomes his serious self. I miss the old Vincent, this new one is someone else entirely. I huff, but nod stiffly.

“Let's all get ready then.” he says with his lips set into a thin line before he swiftly turns around and leaves the room. They all exit the room, one by one like when they came in. All except for one. I look down to find a sleeping Aziel.

***

I dress myself in the same black swimsuit from last time and walk out of the brother to see Aziel, still asleep on the bed.

I sigh and make my way towards him. I poke him, but he doesn't even flinch, I begin to shake him. His brow furrows in his sleep and he groans, “M-Mine!” I'm taken aback when he takes hold of my wrist and pulls me down on top of him. He rolls over to his side, taking me with him. He holds me close in a very un-Aziel like way while also muttering incoherent words under his breath.

I push at his chest until his eyes fly open, startled. They focus in on me. They travel down and widened at the sight of our embrace and my attire before he pushes me away and rolls off the bed.

“Sorry!” he forces out before leaving the room as quickly as humanly possible.

Well, that was...strange.

***

“Does the water feel alright?” Dylan asks me coolly. I nod as I continue to kick my feet out. Everyone was swimming in the pool, I was the only one sitting out at the edge. Still wanting to be alone.

“Hey, Dylan, come help me drown Sean!” Sebastian calls.

Dylan looks over his shoulder at them and chuckles with a smirk, “gladly!” he calls back before looking back at me. “Be right back.”

I was glad to be alone, but it didn't last long. “Rebecca, get in the water.” Vincent instructs. I gesture to my feet. He rolls his eyes and tugs on my arm until my body is fully in the pool, shivering. Vincent takes my arms and wraps them around his neck while holding me close, to my dismay.

If I kick away, could I attempt to drown? I'll do anything to get away from him at this point.

“I know you hate me for what I've done, but I still love you, that won't change,” he whispers. I roll my eyes, not caring if he noticed or not.

I squeeze my eyes shut and Vincent shouts at Sean after being pushed forcefully down by Sean himself. I cough, the water stings my nose and throat and it seems to have affected Vincent as well.

“Are you okay?” he chokes out to me, and without thinking I nod and cling onto him tighter. He grins like the fool he is, but says nothing, and I find myself grateful for that.

I wrap my arms around Vincent's neck and hold onto him tightly. A sweet smell of lavender filled my nose, and what surprised me the most out of everything was that my heart started to ram against my chest as I clung to Vincent, that warm feeling taking over once again.

These boys are really going to be the end of me, aren't they?