Chapter fifteen: So many regrets

I couldn't keep myself calm. I am jumpy and all the what ifs, and all the risks are going through my mind like a slideshow of everything that could go wrong. It's dark out now and the plan has now started.

Aaron keeps telling me it'll be fine, but that's easy for him to say, he doesn't have as much on the line as I do.

“How do we...start?” I finally ask. I can't bring myself to look up at him. He comes up to me and grabs me by the shoulders.

“They won't feel pain, they'll just fall asleep and wake up when it's all over,” he assures. “But, Laura, are you sure you want to-”

“Yes!” I cut him off and brush him off. I look up at him and nod. “Let's start.”

***

We tiptoe out of the room and downstairs. All the brothers had fallen asleep in the living room. We started with the first closest one and injected a needle into his neck. He hardly moved and didn't make a single sound.

We did this with the rest of the brothers, being as quiet and as careful as we could be. All their bodies went limp as they entered a really long sleep.

I walk over to the boy who has captured me and trace his face with my finger. A tear falls free, I quickly wipe it away and take a step back.

“Laura,” I look over at Aaron. He holds his hand out to me and I take it, but not before looking back one last time. This may be the last time I see him. “We have to go, are you ready?”

I don't hesitate, “Yes.”

We walk outside where a black car was awaiting us. We climb inside and I watch as their home disappears from my view for the last time.

“He's expecting to see us at that amusement park,” Jonathan says from the driver's seat. “I told him that Laura told me they were planning on going back tonight.”

“This is all your fault, you know,” Aaron accuses. “If only you had kept your mouth shut we wouldn't be in this mess.”

“No, we'd be stuck, suffering beatings and threats from our father forever.” Jonathan spat.

“Just hurry.”

Didn't take long to get to the amusement park. It was still open and filled with people. Lights streamed off booths and rides making them all glow.

We passed through the crowd with ease and came to a stop in front of the ride called: Carousel. Children squealed with joy as they went in a circle, sitting atop a horse or whatever animal they had gotten stuck with.

“So, you've found her,” we all look over to see father. My heart picks up speed and fear grips my throat, but I try to ignore it as I gaze at the man before me. “Aaron, I didn't expect to see you here.”

Aaron smiles cheerfully, “I wanted to help as well, father.”

“I see,” father says with a grin. “Then, shall we leave?”

We follow father out to his truck and climb inside. Father blasts his radio while the three of us stay in the back. I begin to shake when what I used to call home comes into view.

My legs feel like jelly every step I take towards the house. Father holds the door open and waits for us to all be inside before slamming it shut and locking it.

I stand in between Jonathan and Aaron as our father stands in front of us. Without warning he stalks over to me and connects his fist with my eye. I fall back as he begins to kick me repeatedly in the gut. I can hardly hear my brothers shouts or even father's insults from my screaming.

My whole body tenses as blow after blow brings pain to my body. Tears fall from my eyes as I hold back my sobs. I can't let him break me any further than this.

“Stupid slut!” He growls at me. “Just wait until-”

I hear father scream in surprise and his kicks abruptly stop. I look up and see him leaning against the far wall on the other side of the room. Both my brothers stand before me in a protective stance.

“This needs to stop, father,” Jonathan says gently. “We're leaving, and you can't bother us ever again.”

“What is this?!” Father shouts. “Betraying your own father for some slut!”

“No,” Aaron replies, shaking his head slowly. “Freeing ourselves from our tormenter and protecting our sister.”

“Aaron...you bastard!” Father suddenly bellows and lunges at my defenseless brother. Obviously, we should have expected this, but we still took a moment to recuperate before taking action on pushing our father away.

When he was far enough, he pulled out his cellphone and began to dial a number. If only we had paid more attention.

We should have expected him to call all his friends from the bar. If only we had paid less attention to Aaron and more attention to what he was doing.

So many regrets.