9. distraction

Work was pretty quiet. Nicky wasn't cracking as many jokes and Piper's mood may have had an impact on that. Piper was super upset, like, her eyes were red and i don't think i've seen her with non- watering eyes since the breakup.
When it was time up Nicky went off somewhere and i stopped Piper outside in the yard. "Are you alright?" I asked, dumb question really.
She looked at me and looked down and bit her lip. "It's my fault. I drove her away" she whimpered.
I didn't know what to say- i didn't really have any input into the relationship.
"Look, you've heard that thing right- 'your version of things, my version and the truth', right? It's like that. You and Alex are gonna have different opinions of it all, when maybe both of you are right or neither of you are right. Don't go blaming yourself", I consoled, rubbing her shoulder.
We were on the bench outside electrical now. She just looked at me for a moment, looked around then, out of nowhere, kissed me. It was a small one at first and then she pulled away and said "i just need a distraction". Before pulling me in again. What the hell was she doing? I wasn't into Piper- she's a friend.
Just as i was pulling away i heard a loud- deep: "What the fuck?"
I turned around to reveal a very angry Alex with furrowed brows and Nicky behind, not saying anything, just looking disappointed. At some point through Alex's shouting the look of disappointment turned to anger and she walked away.
"Nicky! Wait! She kissed me!"
I shouted, but she just responded with faster paces towards the door.