eleven.

a/n: omg, your guys' comments on the last chapter are killing me, i'm sorry xD

-

My hero...? 

A different feeling filled Valui's stomach — one that made her bite the corner of her lip and her eyebrows knit together; one that felt as though she had drank a lot of cold water on a hot day. A flash of pain that ran up her arm made the feeling dissipate, but the memory of it lingered.

"M-my name's Valui, er, Dyer." She halfway forced a smile, trying to hold back a grimace. Painful pins and needles had started in her hand, and the pain was slowly creeping up her forearm. "I saw you in the tournament thing just now." Her eyes drifted down to Izuku's broken fingers. It was comical, almost — they were both trying to hold back pained expressions as they held their injured hands. "How did you... How come your fingers broke? Is that your Quirk?"

Izuku's expression shifted to a sheepish one. "It's not supposed to do that. I can't exactly control it very well yet."

Valui's head tilted slightly. "Can't control it yet?" she repeated, confusion mixing in with the pain on her face. "Haven't you had it your whole life?"

He made a nervous sort of laugh. "I, uh..." Izuku looked to the side. "It's kinda hard to explain but no not really I only recently got it and I—"

He was rambling.

It made Valui giggle.

The sound made him stop, his eyes meeting hers and his face turning a shade of red. "S-sorry."

She shook her head lightly. "It's alright."

Izuku looked at her, his body turning so he was walking semi backward again. "So what's your Quirk?"

Valui nearly froze, but she managed to not let the question stun her too much. "I...don't have one."

Saying that never got easier.

Izuku's face fell, then he gave an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry. I know how it feels, at least. I only just recently got mine."

Something about knowing he also used to not have a Quirk made her feel better; more comfortable; not alone anymore.

It was a nice feeling.

She wanted to feel it more.

Izuku spun back around and came to a stop, her eyes tearing away from him to look at the door they were in front of. It was decorated with the words: Recovery Girl's Temporary Office.

Izuku pushed open the door and stepped to the side so Valui could walk in. He followed after her. The sound of the door opening and shutting made the woman inside — the hero Recovery Girl — look up and take the sight of the two of them in. She sighed upon seeing Izuku's broken fingers; not commenting on that, she looked to Valui. "And who are you, dear? Are you hurt?"

"Y-yeah, I fell on my wrist." Recovery Girl motioned her over to one of the beds where Izuku had sat down. She backed up and managed to squirm her way onto the edge of the bed without using her hands. "And I'm Valui."

Recovery Girl wheeled over to them in her chair, eyebrows raising. "That's a pretty name. Very unique."

Not the first time I've heard that one. 

Izuku nudged Valui's side with his elbow. When she looked at him, he smiled lightly. "Hold out your wrist."

She did as she was told and let go of her hurt wrist to hold it out. With no warning, Recovery Girl pressed a kiss to the middle of her wrist. Valui was about to say something, but the rapidly diminishing pain in her hand and arm — and the rapidly increasing drowsiness in her head — made her stop. She stared down at her wrist in awe, slowly moving it in a circular motion.

It was as good as new.

Recovery Girl pulled a roll of bandages out of a pocket on her coat and wrapped up Valui's wrist. When she was done, she gave a gentle smile to the girl and pushed her chair over so she was sitting in front of Izuku. The gentleness immediately vanished from her features.

"Izuku Midoriya, I've told you time and time again to quit hurting yourself." Izuku couldn't answer; Recovery Girl cut him off. "I don't want excuses, I want it to stop."

Did Izuku get himself hurt a lot?

Despite her harsh sounding words, Recovery Girl still kissed his fingers and bandaged them up once they had healed. Izuku wiggled his fingers, then smiled over at Valui. "Do you feel better now?"

She smiled back and nodded. "I do, th-thank you!"

Izuku glanced to a clock on the wall — and then he turned frantic again. "Oh! Ochako's and Tenya's battles should be starting soon!" He jumped off the bed and grabbed Valui's unbandaged hand, tugging her to her feet as well. He smiled widely at her, though he hadn't calmed down — he was bouncing lightly between his feet. "Come on, let's go!"

He quickly thanked Recovery Girl for healing them, then opened the door and led Valui outside the office and into the hallway.

And then he froze.

"Let go."

Izuku dropped Valui's hand immediately; an arm was wrapped around her shoulders. She jumped, lifting her head up to see Hitoshi staring at Izuku with narrowed eyes. As soon as it started, Izuku blinked and came back to his senses. He looked to Valui in confusion, but realization dawned on him when his eyes trailed up to Hitoshi.

"A-ah! Hitoshi!" He took a small step back, the energy he had just moments earlier turning into something Valui could only describe as fear. "I-I-I didn't know you were there! O-or that you knew Valui!"

"Well, I do." Hitoshi's voice was different from when he was talking to just her. It was scarily even and calm; but the way his fingertips were pressing into her shoulder told her he was anything but. "And I'd like it if you didn't try to take my title."

Izuku's eyebrows furrowed in confusion, as did Valui's. "W-what do you mean?"

Hitoshi leaned forward, his cool expression melting to show a fraction of the anger Valui could feel coming off him.

"I'm her hero."