thirty one.

a/n: sorry for the wait and the meh chapter, things have been pretty bad lately. but! thank you all for reading my story and for putting up with me, i really appreciate it <3

-

Valui felt her eyes narrow in spite of herself. Had he expected her to just do nothing? Had he expected her to sit back and just watch him die? Her skin crawled at the thought; her muscles tensed and she grew tense. She was useless, she knew, but that didn't mean she could just watch someone — watch him — die because of it.

She had told herself she wouldn't let that happen again.

"What else was I supposed to do?" Her voice held a small snap and an undertone of worry; of panic; of fear. "J-just— Just watch you—"

"S...stop."

Valui did what he said, falling uncomfortably quiet, her eyes scanning over him. The bleeding still hadn't stopped — a small puddle of it was forming beneath him. His eyes were half lidded, like he was struggling to keep them open; they were duller than she remembered. He was getting sickly pale — his face was turning an unsettling gray-white color. The cut was bigger than she had originally thought; deeper; in a worse spot.

Help.

He needed help.

She needed help.

Valui looked down at herself, biting the inside of her cheek and mentally cursing herself for letting this day be the one time she didn't wear a jacket. "Izu—" She turned, starting to call out Izuku's name only to stop when she saw the fight that was happening. The guy that had been on the ground — Iida, Hitoshi had called him — was up and fighting alongside Izuku. And alongside them was some other guy; some guy who was using a combination of ice and fire.

Endeavor? Isn't he Endeavor's son? What was his name again?

Valui shook her head and looked back to Hitoshi, chewing her lip as her eyebrows furrowed nervously. She had to do something — anything — to at least slow down the bleeding lest she want him to pass out.

She'd held off a panic attack for this long. Him fainting would make her lose the battle against herself.

So, in a brief moment where her panic took over, Valui pressed her hands against the cut on his neck. She cringed softly at the feeling of the blood trying to seep through her fingers, but kept her hands there nonetheless. Hitoshi, who had closed his eyes more, looked up at her, a confused look passing through his glazed over eyes.

"W...what are you...d-doing...?"

Hitoshi's voice was strained; it hurt for Valui to listen to. She pressed her hands more against the wound when blood started seeping through her fingers and running down the back of her palms. "I-I'm—" Her voice was beginning to shake; she stopped, taking a quivering breath, before continuing again. "I'm trying to make it s-stop."

Why didn't I wear a jacket today?

Hitoshi made something that sounded like a pained grunt — and for a short moment, Valui considered letting go to not hurt him any more. The thought was fleeting, though. Letting go and letting him continue to bleed out was out of the question. His eyes closed for a long time — so long that Valui nearly began to panic — before finally opening again. "Go," he started, his voice soft and hard to hear over the sounds of the fight just mere feet down the alley from them, "and g..get help."

Valui's lips pressed together, frustration crashing over her and replacing any panic she had been feeling. He was still trying to get her to leave; to leave him by himself for who knows what to happen to him. "No." The timidness that was usually present in her voice was gone now, being replaced by a certain sternness that neither of them were used to — the faint shock that flashed through Hitoshi's eyes proved that. "I'm...staying here. You can't make me leave."