twenty six.

a/n: sorry for the late (and kinda bad) upload! i've been busy with school and the hurricane that just hit, lol
but as always, thank you all for reading, i really appreciate it <3

-

"Wait, Hitoshi—" Valui spun around in the kitchen doorway she was standing under. She had finished eating and was about to go upstairs to change when a realization had dawned on her. "I don't have clothes."

Hitoshi looked up from his own breakfast at her. "Oh. My mom washed your clothes." He paused, then added, "You can also wear some of mine, if you'd rather do that."

Valui's face turned a light shade of pink and she bit back a smile. Hitoshi probably picked up on that; he smirked lightly at her before going back to eating. She turned back around and started walking again, making her way easily back up the stairs and into Hitoshi's room. The clothes she had worn the day before were washed and folded on his bed; but she didn't move toward them.

She went to the closet.

Valui smiled to herself as she shifted through the shirts that were hanging up in the closet. She stopped when she found a shirt she liked — a superhero one — and pulled it off its hanger. She went back to the bed and got dressed, pulling on her shorts and bra from the day before, and then the shirt she got from the closet. Once Valui was fully dressed, she plopped herself onto the ground next to where her shoes had been placed.

I'll have to thank his mom later. 

Valui finished tying her shoes and stood up with a bounce. With a small breath, she made her way back down the stairs to find Hitoshi. She had just rounded the corner to go back into the kitchen when voices stopped her — specifically voices talking about her.

"So how long have you two been dating?"

"Officially?"

"Oho, so something happened before it was official?"

"W-well, um—"

"Aww, Hitoshi you're turning red~"

Valui peered around the wall. Hitoshi was leaning against a wall, looking away from his mother, who was sitting at the kitchen table. His face was red, but when he caught sight of Valui, the blush on his face dissipated and he smiled instead. He stood up straight off the wall and went over to her, looking over his shoulder toward his mother and saying, "Hey, we're gonna go now."

As Hitoshi wrapped one of his arms around her shoulders, Valui saw his mom lean over the table to smile and wave at her. "Have fun~!"

The two waved back before Hitoshi led Valui to the front door and outside onto the sidewalk in front of his house. He looked down to her, a content expression on his face. "So, where do you want to go?"

Valui thought for a moment, then looked up at met his eyes with a sheepish smile. "I don't know. Anywhere is fine as long as I'm with you."

Hitoshi turned red again; he looked away, but Valui could still see a corner of his mouth threatening to turn up in a smile. When he looked back at her, he just smiled and kissed the top of her head. "You're adorable."

Valui hummed happily, moving closer to him as he started leading her away from his house. She was comfortable in the silence between them — and it was obvious Hitoshi was as well. Her eyes drifted around as they walked, absentmindedly taking in the scenery around them. It was probably close to noon, so a number of people were out and doing whatever it was they needed to do; it didn't look much different from how her neighborhood did at this time of day.

The brief thought of her own neighborhood, which brought thoughts of her own house and parents with it, sent a pang of hurt into her chest.

I'll never be able to go back, will I?