twenty.

a/n: so first, i wanna thank Katsuki_Bakugou, ufo_house, Akuma-Sama, and (my good ol bud) Trinity, since i used their ideas, but i'm definitely grateful for every suggestion i got! <33
and as always, thank you all for now over 700 votes! <3

-

Valui's first thought wasn't fear, like it should have been. It should have been questioning; wondering how in the hell she got found. It should have been an incoherent, fearful mess. It should have been internal pleading for him not to hurt her, take her away, or worse. It shouldn't have even crossed her mind — she should have drawn a blank.

But that wasn't what happened.

Why do you keep calling me that?

"Get your hands off my daughter!" Her father's voice served as an anchor back to reality; the fear crashed over her brain like waves. This man — Tomura — was back after she was so sure she was safe and wouldn't ever have to deal with him again. But here he was, holding her in place like the hostage she was more than certainly about to become again.

"Oh?" His tone was mocking; that single word — the single sound — held such a mocking and conceited tone that it took Valui by surprise. He acted like he had already won, like they weren't in the middle of a crowd of people and next to a car crash that was bound to bring cops to their location; like she couldn't see people across the street talking frantically into their cell phones; like she wasn't sure she could already hear police sirens in the distance; like he wasn't bound to lose because he wanted to make some big scene like an attention-obsessed child. "I don't think I want to."

A child. He sounded like a child, as hypocritical as that was coming from Valui.

As her father stepped closer to them, the fingers on her neck pressed down harder. A strangled noise escaped her throat, her line of vision turning into a tunnel. Her lightheadedness got worse, as did her headache from lack of proper oxygen. It was harder to breathe now, but not impossible — it came in short, gasping breaths as her head was forced to lean back against Tomura's chest to get her neck away from his hand.

Distantly, after performing that small action, she felt his tight hold on her wrist loosen.

He must've heard her gasping breaths, because he stopped almost immediately. "Let. Her. Go. She's not—" Her father cut off to compose himself, though whether out of fear or anger, Valui didn't know. "She's not someone you want. She's just—"

Useless?

Defenseless?

Nothing compared to everyone else?

Whatever she was going to be called was never to be heard, as his sentence was cut off when Tomura hummed; Valui could feel his head tilting back and forth. "Incorrect." From her limited vision, Valui saw a faint purple mist form behind him. "If you'll excuse me now, I'll be taking my new toy and—"

Everything happened so quickly that Valui was left putting together the pieces as she stared at the aftermath.

The loud blaring of sirens filled the air, making the girl's headache pound heavily against her temples. Cops and pro heroes alike begun flooding the scene; somewhere behind her, she heard Kurogiri tell Tomura to "stop acting like a child and let it go," but when Valui turned, she found she had been let go and the two had fled before anyone got close to them. Even if the threat of them taking her again was still there, Valui didn't care — she didn't care about that, her starry vision from being borderline suffocated, her headache that was turning into a migraine, the police and paramedics trying to speak to her. All of it paled in comparison to what was right at her feet.