Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

"What did you do to Susie?" Sally demanded of Brody the next morning as everyone gathered at the ranch house. Liza was coming in on the stage today and so everyone was meeting at the ranch to greet her.

Brody shook his head and Elizabeth stepped around him and put her hands on her hips, "Allow me to tell you since Brody seems to have forgotten," she said, sending her husband a glare that would freeze fire, "He came upon what he thought was Ryder trying to take advantage of Susie but what was really Ryder saving Susie from taking a nasty tumble headfirst into the river and instead of listening to reason and letting them explain, he exploded in a fit of temper and ran the poor man off. Now Susie is heartbroken because she really liked Ryder and Ryder is long gone because he likes breathing."

"Brody! Didn't you learn anything from Jacob?!" Sally exclaimed. "Susie is so sad. I've never seen her that way. I always thought she'd fall for someone like Justin but she seemed to really like Ryder and he seemed to really like her."

Brody let out a defeated sigh, "Where'd she go?"

"Town. To work at the church," Sally replied.

He nodded, "I'll talk to her."

"And what about Ryder?" Elizabeth asked.

Brody shrugged, "If he comes back then I'll let him stay and I won't kill him. Is that good enough for ya, boss?"

"No," Elizabeth replied honestly, "But I guess it'll have to do."

Brody shook his head and kissed his wife's forehead, "I gotta go. I gotta check in at the jail, talk to Susie and pick Liza up."

"I could pick Liza up if you'll be too busy," Thomas said with a grin and a wink as he came out of the barn.

Sally glared at him, "I don't think you will. She drools like a dog eyeing a meaty bone every time she sees you."

Thomas smiled and gripped her around her waist. He pulled her close to him and kissed her hair, "She can look all she wants, sweetheart, you're the only one that gets to touch."

Sally rolled her eyes at the cocky tone of his voice and smiled up at him with false sweetness, "Lucky me."

Brody rolled his eyes and mounted his waiting horse, "Who took Susie into town?"

Cookie cleared his throat from his chair, "No one. She went by herself." he said.

"She's not supposed to go off alone!" Brody exclaimed.

Elizabeth shrugged, "She's probably not very worried about what you think right now," she replied. Brody sighed and, without another word, he rode off toward town.

"Where are you going?" Sally asked Elizabeth as Elizabeth walked toward the ranch house.

"To give Jacob a piece of my mind for helping my husband be an idiot," she replied.

***

"Susie...?" Brody called from the door of the church.

Susie heard her brother but wasn't sure whether or not she wanted to answer. It wasn't in her nature to hold a grudge or stay angry but at the same time Brody had completely ignored her the night before and done just what he had wanted to do even though what he had wanted to do was wrong.

Of course maybe he had done her a favor. She would have given Ryder anything last night as they stood there together beneath the moonlight. His words, the way he had held her, the look in his eyes had all been overwhelming for her.