Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

"Susie...."

The warm voice washed over Susie as she walked barefoot through the field of cool grass and dancing wildflowers.

"Susie, I have to go. Please wake up. I really want to kiss you before I leave."

"Kiss me...." she replied breathlessly to that voice as she leaned into the arms of the speaker. It was Ryder and he was standing behind her with his arms wrapped tight around her waist. The sun was rising over the hill in front of them.

Ryder chuckled and the sound vibrated against her neck, "I'd rather you were awake first," he replied.

Susie frowned and then suddenly Ryder's arms were gone. She moaned with frustration and then a fly began buzzing around her face. It tickled her nose and she swatted at it. It landed on her ear and she slapped it away. Laughter filled her ears and she realized that it wasn't coming from the field of grass and wildflowers.

Her eyes flew open and she saw Ryder kneeling beside the bed running the tip of his finger along her face, "Good morning, sunshine," he said with an amused grin, "I'm going to make sure that when I build our house our bedroom window faces east. This one faces north and I can't enjoy the sunrise on your face."

Susie blushed and sat up, stretching her arms above her head, "What time is it?" Outside the window, daylight was just beginning to break through the darkness of night.

"About six," Ryder replied, "I'm gonna get out of here before somebody catches me."

"That's probably a good idea."

Ryder smiled and kissed her forehead tenderly, "I love you, future wife." He realized that was the first time he had actually said those words and truly meant them.

"When are we going to tell the family?" Susie asked.

Ryder shrugged and ran his knuckles down her cheek, "We'll tell them together later," he promised. He brushed a gentle kiss to her lips, "I gotta get to work."

Susie sighed, wishing he could stay here with her forever, "This evening, when you get done working, could you come pick me up and show me the land you bought?"

"You've already seen it," he replied, as he twirled long strands of her hair around his fingers.

"I have?"

"I bought our paradise."

Susie's eyes widened with amazement and disbelief, "You did? How?"

"I'm magic," he teased and this earned him a scowl and a playful slap to the arm. Ryder laughed and pulled her into a hug, "Apparently that land belonged to Mrs. Ferguson. Mr. Ferguson bought it for her and told her that he would build her the dream home she had always wanted. Mr. Ferguson died a few months back and left Mrs. Ferguson willing to sell the land... And for a heck of a lot less than what it's worth."

"Why is that?" Susie asked. She only knew about the Ferguson's in passing and she had never truly been introduced to either of them, "I would think she would want to keep it forever."

Ryder chuckled as he pulled away from her, "I think it has a lot to do with the way he died. Cause of death was too much drink in the arms of a whore. He never got around to building that dream house either... He was too busy paying for his mistress's place."

"Ooooo,." Susie fought back a smile. Smiling over someone elses pain was rude and unkind.

"You get a little dimple in your cheek when you try not to smile," Ryder informed her.