Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Brody laughed at Justin as he limped his way up the porch steps. Justin glared at him. If Brody wasn't such a big and dangerous man he would give him a piece of his mind. Instead he swallowed his retort and finished limping into the house.

"Who was that?" Ty asked from where he was leaned against the porch banister.

Elizabeth smiled, "That was Justin Vicks."

"My brother's competition?" Ty asked as he watched the four kids running around the yard with the ranch hounds. There were several men working with horses over at the corral but the man he was looking for, Thomas Cooper, was busy out in the fields with his wife and wouldn't be back until suppertime.

"Yep," Brody's brother Jacob replied as he rocked in the swing with his wife Ellie and son Eli.

"You do know that your sister won't stand a chance if Ryder really sets his sights on her don't you?" Ty asked.

Brody's jaw tightened but Elizabeth smiled, "That's what we're hoping. Susie is a sweet girl and she deserves a man who will love her and make her happy."

Ty glanced away quickly but not quickly enough for Brody to miss the look of uneasiness on his face, "What?" Brody demanded, "Do you know something we don't? Is your brother going to hurt her?"

Ty shrugged as he stuck his hands deep in his pockets. He didn't want to betray his brother but at the same time he didn't want to lie to these people who seemed to truly care about the girl, Susie, "He seems to care about her," he said, hoping this would satisfy them. No such luck.

"But?" Brody asked.

Ty sighed, "Ryder's a good man and he doesn't hurt people on purpose... He just doesn't always think things through."

"Brody ,leave the man alone!" a feminine voice scolded from just inside the door, "I for one am glad that Ryder's back. Though I've never met the man, I know how much Susie seems to like him. This is great for her!" Ty looked up to see a woman step out of the house. She had dark blond hair, pale skin and wide brown eyes. Her nose was tiny and upturned and she had full heart shaped pink lips. She was petite and slender and appeared fragile and breakable in her blue gingham dress with a tight long sleeved bodice and full skirt.

"Hello, ma'am," Ty said as he pulled off his worn, rough leather glove and held his hand out.

Liza's eyes widened as she looked up at the broad shouldered stranger. He wore a well fitting pair of black trousers, a white button down shirt and brown vest. His clothes were all dusty from being on the trail but the Texas Ranger badge on his chest shone, even in the shade. Liza had always been a sucker for a lawman. This lawman's face was all hard, chiseled lines. His hair was hidden by his hat but judging by the mustache and goatee on his face she guessed that it would be nearly black as well. He had dark brown eyes, that were full of interest as he gazed at her from beneath thick lashes.

Liza smiled and placed her hand in his. Both felt the heat from the contact and both simply stared at each other for several long moments until Ellie cleared her throat, "She's single, Ty. No beau or anything."

Liza's eyes widened with embarrassment and she blushed as she shot her sister a look that could kill, "Nice to know that, ma'am," Ty replied with sincerity.

Liza realized that his voice was deep but soothing... It washed over her like the sun after a rainy day. Or maybe that was just the desperate romantic in her, "My name is Liza." she said, surprised by how soft and shy her voice sounded. Since when was she shy?