Chapter 1

Breathe. Just breathe.

I sucked in another huge gulp of air – it would have been a scream if I'd been exhaling – and braced for the next assault. When I learned I'd have to soak in a whirlpool bath as part of my burn treatment, my inner princess rejoiced. That was before I found out it was code for torture. Twice a day. Every day.

She's safe. She's safe. She's safe.

My mantra. I lost count of how many times I'd repeated it in the last week. Today was Day 7. A week after I'd pulled my best friend from a burning car.

"Ready, Eden?"

I gripped the rim of the tub as hard as I dared with my tender hands, leaned my head forward, and forced myself to relax. It was easier if you didn't clench. But the not clenching part?

Yeah, not so easy. In fact, pretty damn close to impossible.

At my nod, Ranger's gloved hands brushed down my right shoulder and stopped at the edge of the tube top I wore in the bath. The eye-crossing pain peaked and I hissed and panted through it until he worked his way to the middle of my arm, where the burn ended.

"Okay. Done."

I huffed out a weak laugh. "Yeah. With the right side."

"Um. Yeah."

I opened my eyes, saw Ranger pluck an inch-long swatch of my skin from the water. I shuddered.

"You cold?"

I shook my head even though I was a bit cold. But it was only because I was nauseated. "Ranger, this water's like a hundred degrees."

"You shivered. If you're feeling cold, I need to know. Could be a fever, a sign of infection."

Oh, spare me. I rolled my eyes. I had the flipping signs of infection committed to memory. "I'm, just, you know... a little grossed out."

"Eden."

I raised my hand in a pledge. "Really, Ranger."

He studied me sideways for a minute and then nodded. Preston Ranger was young, not much older than me, really. A nurse who took a lot of teasing about his feminine profession, he used only his way-cool last name. He had both ears pierced and wore his light brown hair in a ponytail. Tattoos extended down both arms. Maddie, my mother, couldn't believe hospital administrators tolerated his appearance but I thought Ranger was cool.

I glanced at the clock on the far wall of the large treatment room and braced myself again. "Please. Let's just finish." I put my head against the rim of the tub again, held my breath and nodded.

"Okay, Eden. Here we go." Ranger's hands moved to my left shoulder and rubbed. I screamed mental prayers for mercy that went unanswered.

"Okay, okay. It's over, it's all over."

I blinked my eyes open. "Done? What do you mean, done? You didn't do my neck."

"That's right, sugar. Dr. Nielsen says he's happy with the rate of healing. No more debridement there."

A giggle threatened to bubble out of my mouth. No more debridement! Were there any sweeter words? I stared at Ranger, looking for some clue that he lied, that he was just joking around but there was nothing but his warm grin. I permitted a smile, even though it hurt.

"Are you kidding?" Please be serious. Please.

"Oh, sugar. You know I never kid about burns, right?"

I bobbed my head in excitement, gasped at the tugging I felt on my scarred skin.

"Easy, Eden, let's not undo all the progress, okay?"