Chapter 6

Rage bubbled under my skin and when I heard the running footsteps approach, I whirled ready to fight.

"Eden! Oh, my gosh, what happened?" Taylor's eyes popped at the sight of all that damage.

I didn't answer. I was busy scanning the student lot for Belinda's little blue Hyundai.

There.

South side, against the grass median.

I marched toward it, revenge burning in my brain. I even had my keys out. Taylor, bless her calm little soul, had other ideas.

"Eden, stop. You can't do what I think you're about to do."

I whirled on her. "WHY NOT."

"Because you have no proof she actually did this." She waved a hand at my car and spoke in a soft tone meant to soothe me but I'd had enough.

"Oh, come on, Taylor! You were there. You saw what she did with the soda. Hurting me is her new favorite sport." I angrily swept the tears from my cheeks. "She lies awake at night, thinking up new ways to make me pay because I was an hour late to some stupid party!"

"Hate to break it to you, sweetie, but I don't think of you at all anymore."

I spun around, found Belinda and Ashley behind me. Ashley stared, open-mouthed at my car, which now had a small circle of kids around it. But Belinda? She looked only at her cell phone.

"Tell me what I did!" I shrieked. "What do I have to do to get you to talk to me?"

She looked up from the message she was texting with a shrug. "Nothing. There's nothing you can do that will ever make me want to be your friend again."

I was stunned into a silence so painful, my knees buckled.

"And since you're so good at doing nothing, that shouldn't be too hard, even for you."

She stuck out an arm, shoved me out of her way and climbed into the little car, Ashley in the passenger seat. With a squeal of tires, they were gone.

I watched them go, trembling from the bone-deep hurt, Taylor tugging on my hand. "Eden. Eden, come on. Let's go. I'll drive."

It was nearly four o'clock when Taylor pulled into the driveway of a sprawling Victorian about ten minutes from the school. It took a while for us to get on the road. School security wanted a full report so I related everything that happened with Belinda that day. They questioned Taylor, too. The principal conceded there was no real proof Belinda acted maliciously but promised to speak to her anyway.

I arranged for tow service and they promised to have a loaner car for me in the morning.  Taylor drove me to Amanda's house. "I stop by a few days a week. She's got her hands full taking care of a little girl plus Adam."

"Adam lives here?"

Taylor's eyes went tight. "Yes. For now."

For now? He was seriously injured so I suppose even Adam Almighty couldn't live by himself right now. Where did he live? Did he even have his own place anymore? What does the Army do with soldiers who can't perform their duties?

I didn't press, but followed her up the walk to the porch steps and through the front door. A screech high enough to shatter glass almost made my ears bleed as a tiny pink ball of energy whipped across the hall and into Taylor's arms.

"Hey, squirt. Where did you go today that you're all dressed up?"

"Nowhere. I'm just playing. Look. I got a ta-ra-ra."

The little girl was about three or four with dark hair falling in waves to her waist and topped with a bright pink plastic tiara. She wore a pink tutu and... boots. Maddie would have marched me back upstairs with a ten-minute lecture on accessorizing to maximum effect. I laughed.