Chapter 4

In the corridor, chanting Adam's nickname, stood a tall dark man wearing Army fatigues and a bold grin. Adam pushed the chair toward him.

"Shit, Luke, what are you doing here?" Adam's face split into a wide grin. The man strode in, grabbed Adam's hand in a thumbs-up grip and hugged him with the other arm.

"Got home yesterday, man. Had to come see you." The smile faded a bit as Luke scanned Adam's leg but he quickly wound it up again with a taunt. "I expected to find you missing a leg but instead, you're relaxing in a chair with a pretty girl at your side."

"Nope, I got to keep my leg." Still smiling, Adam introduced us. "And the pretty girl is Eden Leighton. Eden, this is Army Specialist Luciano Santoro, better known as Luke."

I extended a bandaged hand and he hesitated for a second. "Just don't squeeze. I'll be fine."

He nodded and smiled. I liked him immediately. "Nice to meet you. So, has Ollie shown you his scars yet?"

Adam's hand shot out, struck Luke's shoulder. "Watch it, man."

Luke held up his hands in mock surrender. "Sorry, sorry. You know I love you, man."

Adam scoffed. "Love? Is that why you put sand in my shorts and pissed in my canteen?"

With a shrug and a wicked smile, Luke shook his head. "That wasn't me. You have other…admirers."

"Great." Adam rolled his eyes.

Luke turned to me. "Ollie makes friends wherever he goes."

I looked at him sideways. "Really."

Luke burst into laughter. "Oh, she knows you already."

Adam flipped him the bird but Luke laughed harder. "We been at this since basic training. What was that – like two years ago?"

Adam nodded. "Feels like yesterday." He leaned forward in his chair. "How is everybody? Did Finn figure out who swiped his books?"

Luke laughed. "Finneran's an ass."

I took that as my cue to say goodnight and leave the boys to their stories. I stood up.

"Hey, where you going, princess?"

"I thought I'd leave you guys to get caught up."

"No, no, you have to stay and hear this story." Adam held out his hand.

I stared at his hand for a moment and then smiled for real, and took it. Adam's eyes went round and I heard his faint gasp before Luke coughed once. Adam cleared his throat and dropped my hand.

I stayed for a while longer and learned Adam has a wicked sense of humor, is devoted to his Army brothers – and sisters – there were two women in his squad. Better, they are devoted to him, and sent Luke with messages wishing Adam luck in his hearing.

"What hearing?" I asked.

Adam's body went rigid and the light left his eyes. "Forget it. It… it doesn't matter." He waved his hand and Luke sucked in air.

"The hell it don't."

"Luke, just… just leave it alone."

Luke opened his mouth to argue, but a single glance from Adam silenced him. I stared, noting his posture, the pulse throbbing at his temple, the way his hands twitched, the eyes that would not meet mine. Ranger's words rang in my ears. That's when I knew Adam Olinek wasn't just uncomfortable.

He was downright scared.

"Visiting hours are over." One of the night nurses stood in the corridor. Luke nodded, stood up. "Eden, it was great to meet you."