Chapter 7

Adam remained in his room the rest of the evening. Cassie said her goodnights and went to bed with the promise of a bedtime story from Zach. It was just Taylor, Amanda and me sitting around the large sofa. I needed to get home but how? I had no car and Adam had my phone.

"Um, Taylor?" I finally spoke up. "I really need to get home. Do you think-"

"Oh! Right. I'm your ride. Sure. Let's go." She hopped up, pecked Amanda on the cheek and grabbed her bag from the corner near the door.

"Thanks for...well, everything." I told Amanda.

"See you tomorrow?" She asked and I nodded.

"I'll be here late tomorrow. I have a therapy appointment at the hospital after school." I grabbed my gear and decided to just let Adam keep the damn phone.

The following day, school was its usual torturous experience. I saw Belinda in the Girls' Restroom and she turned and left rather than say a word to me. I locked myself in a stall and cried for most of my math class. Maddie arranged for my car to be towed and I now had a loaner, a little Smart Car that was actually kind of cute. As soon as school ended, I jogged for it and fifteen minutes later, was parking at the hospital.

"Hey, look who's here!" Ranger's voice welcomed me. "Likin' the hair.""

"Hi, Ranger." I smiled. "Adam's sister cut it for me."

"Adam's sister, huh? So you and Ollie are a couple now?"

I shrugged. "I don't know what we are. Amanda gave me a job."

"A job? That's great. Have a seat on the table. Be right back."

I hopped onto the low padded table on the wall opposite the tubs. It was double-wide and used for massage, stretching, or re-bandaging. I drew the curtain around it, tugged off my top and started rolling the pressure bandages off one arm. My bra was my only upper body covering and I shifted, abruptly uncomfortable, like someone was watching me. I whirled, checked the curtain, found it was completely drawn. I started working the second dressing off when Ranger's angry voice stopped me.

"Mark. I'd appreciate if you'd remain seated until I get back to you."

Mark. I didn't know any Marks. Whoever Mark was, Ranger startled him and my curtain billowed. There was a muttered "Sorry." I tugged my t-shirt back on and stretched out on the table... the opposite side from where the creepy Mark sat.

Shoes squeaked on the linoleum. Crocs. Those belonged to Nancy, the nurse Adam had terrorized on the day I met him. "Okay, Mark. Let's start with the ball. Squeeze and release.... Great."

The ball. Must be a hand burn. I'd done some of those exercises. I heard the rumble of a deep voice and distinctly heard my name but not the rest of his words. The strange text from last night... what if this Mark person sent it? He was right beside me with nothing but a plastic curtain separating us. He... he could be a psycho axe murderer and-

The curtain shrieked as it was pulled open and I jolted like I'd been electrocuted.

"Easy, sugar." Ranger grinned down at me. A moment later, his grin disappeared. "Eden. What's wrong? You in pain?"

I shook my head but glanced at the corner where the curtain had billowed. "Is he gone?" I whispered.

Ranger's jaw clenched. He stepped out and called to someone. "Nancy. Could you rebandage Mark's hand and take him back to his room?"

"I haven't-"

"I know. Just take him back."

Ranger moved next to me, circled his hands and I flipped onto my stomach. "What's this about, Eden?" He rubbed some ointment into my scars and began deep tissue massage.