7

"hmm, this must be it, right?" I flicked the paper with my fingers and looked at the classroom number, "here goes nothing," I shrugged and pushed open the door.

Immediately my ears were swarmed by an onslaught of mixed voices, chattering and yammering like a brigade on my ear drums.

"Excuse me? are you my new student?" a female voice asked politely behind me.

I turned around to see the face of my new teacher, "yes, my name is-" but then I saw her face, her auburn russet hair and her hazel eyes and suddenly it felt like my throat had been in a blender. She blinked expectantly awaiting my reply while her smile never faltered.

"Carter? I didn't know you were in this class," a boy walked up to the side of me but my eyes remained trained on her face, her freckles and button nose -she looked like mom.

"Hello Yukio! Glad to see your face again," the woman greeted warmly. Yukio smiled and looked at me again, when the woman turned to go at the head of the room Yukio whispered to me, "everything okay Carter?"

He addressed me so casually that I was momentarily brought back to reality. "Yeah, sorry about that," I rolled my earlobe as a subconscious habit.

"You can sit at my desk if you'd like," he held out his bag case towards the way of his desk, I nodded a thank you and followed his direction. During the name call I focused on her voice, it was much rougher than what I remember my mom's to be like so it was easy for me to not think about my mom.

At the end of the name call she announced that there was a new student named Carter Haruna.

"Haruno*" I corrected, "oh shit that's me," I muttered. I stood at the desk and smiled at everyone, they all looked so much older and well to-do than I did.

When she was summarizing the topic we were studying I caught eye of her black diamond ring on her pointer finger. At first I saw it as a ring that -back in the day- I would have stolen, but then I noticed the inscription on the band. Her ring has a demon summoning circle on it. I glanced back at her, what kind of ring has summoning circles on them? I had never seen one before. She finished summarizing and after thanking her I walked back to Yukio's desk, careful not to look directly at anyone in fear that I would get nervous.

"Is she an exorcist?" I mumbled to Yukio.

He looked up from writing down notes, "Yes, how did you know?"

I frowned and looked back at her, "she has a summoning circle on her ring,"

He glanced at me for a moment longer, "I'm surprised you noticed,"

I felt my eyebrow twitch "what is that suppose to mean, mole face?" his head cranked to the side, "Mole face?" he pushed up his glasses.

"Yea, you heard me," both my eyebrows twitching

"Well its no secret you don't pay atten-"

"SHH!" someone a few seats ahead aggressively shushed.

I blankly stared at them, then turned back to Yukio, "yea Yuki, shh! you're distracting me from my notes," I stuck my tongue out and clicked my pen to start writing on my empty sheet of paper.

I wrote so many notes that my pen had sweat from my fingers and my hand was so cramped it hurt to move.

I picked up my bag to put away my folder "Argh, is it always like this?" i complained to Yukio.

"Some days we have more notes but because we're in the middle of a lesson this should be one of the more intense note taking days,"

"Thank god," I tilted my head back and closed my eyes "my hand hurts,"