After the Kiss - Part 4

A/N: So, Alex inspired me to come out to my parents yesterday. So I did. Through text. >_> But hey, at least I was able to do it.

Malcolm and I walked out of the auditorium in our graduation gowns, grinning and snapping selfies in between texting our location to our families as we went to meet them

"Class of 2011! Woo!" Another graduate shouted as they ran by. Others cheered. He made eye contact with Malcolm and pointed. "Eyyy, Malcolm. Stay gay, my man!"

I was pretty sure he was one of our star athletes. Stunned, I whipped my head to stare down Malcolm.

He held up his hand. "Don't read into it. He was in my class and you know everyone becomes 10 times nicer right before and after graduation. Anyway, don't forget to tag me," he said, punching at his phone. He pointed over to my screen. "Especially that one. I almost look as good as you."

I nudged his elbow with mine, smiling and rolling my eyes. "Oh, stop. You don't get anything out of flattering me anymore."

"It's not empty flattery, though. You made puberty your bitch." He paused. "I mean that in a totally feminist, respectful way."

"Well, your acne is clearing up quite nicely."

"Isn't it? Skin care, honey. Skin care. And less pop. Oh, my family is in the parking lot." Malcolm lowered his phone and looked at me. "You swear you won't leave for Toronto before I come back from my family trip?"

"I swear. The dorms don't even open before then."

Malcolm pointed at me and pursed his lips in that You Better Keep Your Promise way.

"Alex!" I heard a woman call and stopped walking.

Mrs. Santos was standing near the outer doors with Mr. Santos and Liam's little sister, Lily, by her side.

"Congratulations!" She moved towards me, arms extended and pulled me into a hug.

"Thank you."

The other two Santos congratulated me as well. I glanced behind me wondering where Malcolm had gone but didn't see him.

"Where are your mom and aunt?" Mrs. Santos asked.

"My mom said they're standing by a tree," I said, lifting my cell phone and feeling really awkward talking to the mother of my ex-best friend. "As if there's not more than one tree outside." I rolled my eyes.

Mrs. Santos smiled in amusement.

Then Mr. Santos shouted, "Liam! Our graduate!" and I hesitantly turned around to see Liam slowly walking towards us.

I lifted my hand to wave goodbye to Mrs. Santos. "I'm goin---"

"Let me get a picture of you two." As Mrs. Santos smiled, I tried not to look as shell-shocked and nervous as I felt. Glancing at Mr. Santos, I could tell he knew his wife's actions were pushing doors better left closed.

She pulled out her cell phone and motioned for Liam and me to stand closer. "Get together." Like the obedient children we were, we took the few steps towards each other. A foot of distance remained between us when we stopped and turned to the camera. I took a deep breath then pasted on a picture-perfect smile.

"Great!" Mrs. Santos exclaimed after tapping her phone a few times.

As she lowered it, signalling the end of picture-taking, I turned to Liam. "Congrats."

Liam looked at me, cheesy smile fading. "Yeah."

And then we turned away from each other. That was the final time I saw Liam before moving 190km away for uni in August.