iv.

"He missed you," she spoke, looking him dead in the eyes. "What else did you expect him to say? He asked you where you had disappeared to." She tilted her head in curiosity. 

"I know. But I wasn't expecting him to look at me like he had. Then later that night, the rest of them came over even though I wasn't ready to see the lot of them just yet." He cut capers with his fingers which he found to be more interesting than talking about this subject with a therapist. 

"And why weren't you ready?" she asked, scribbling down what he was saying on her yellow legal pad. 

"It was going to be too much, too soon. Then, they all started spewing all their feelings on how much they missed me. It kind of got really emotional for it all being guys. Not saying that guys shouldn't show their emotions, it was just...odd. Then, after they left, she yelled at me for having them over even though she gave the okay." 

"She? Your wife?"

He nodded. "She's the one who cut me off from these people, remember? Anyway, she got after me, saying that they stayed too late and that they were too noisy, she couldn't sleep until they left."

[Name] continued to scribble down notes. She began to think that a lot of his problems were caused by his wife. First, his wife cut him off from hanging out with his friends. Secondly, from what he told [Name] earlier in the session, she controlled almost every aspect of his life. Such as what he was allowed to watch, what he was allowed to eat, what he was allowed to say when there was company over. He was in a very controlling relationship. "I see. What did you say in response to her?" 

"Sorry, dear. Like I usually do if I do something she doesn't like." 

"Okay, well, have you thought about saying something else than 'sorry dear' when you do something she doesn't like."

"What do you mean?" His straight eyebrows furrowed together in confusion. 

"For example, last night, when she was telling you your friends stayed too late, did you try telling her you hadn't seen them in awhile and got carried away?"

He shook his head, "No, it would only make matters. She would have shut down if I tried to defend my reasoning. It's easier to just apologize. Oh...I went over my time...sorry about that." He got up from his seat, straightening out his clothes. 

"No, it's okay. Before you leave, let me ask you something. Do you get anxiety attacks frequently?"

The brown haired male nodded his head.

"Call this number the next time you have one." She handed him a yellow slip of paper. He nodded and was out the door. 

Kind of odd to ask that out of nowhere. Had she noticed he was having one in there? Yes, that was probably it. She was a therapist and could spot anxiety a mile away. 

When he arrived home, he heard giggling from the master bedroom. He walked back there, opening the door ever so slowly and cautiously. He saw what he'd seen many times before, her and another man both getting dressed. He sighed heavily, closing the door quietly so they wouldn't hear him. 

He walked out of the house and to the convenience store. He stayed there until he figured the guy had left and he could return home now. Upon entering, the house smelled of steak cooking on the stove.

"Smells fantastic, sweetie," he said, setting down his things on the counter top like he usually did when he got home. 

"Why are you home late?" She stopped what she was doing to face him. 

"I stopped at the gas station."

She only rolled her eyes. 

She quickly finished up and served him, taking her food to the back room, not willing to talk to him. He watched her figure retreat, as he sighed. Noticing the yellow slip of paper falling out of his pocket, he pulled it out and called. 

"Hello?" 

"[Name]?"