Chapter 10: Hydrangeas

"I-I mean- you don't have to say it back. But I want you to know that. I truly do love you." He gulped staring at her hair, the shield that's protecting her face from his sight.

"I-I." She turned her head towards him, making her hair swing lightly. Her eyes staring emotionlessly into compassionate ones.

"Y-you don't have to say it. I'll wait for you, however long it takes."

"I'm sorry," she whispered glass-eyed.

"For what?" He frowned, hating her tears but not wanting to smother her too much and make her hate him for his clinginess.

"For not being able to say it back. I really, really, like you. But, I don't know, I guess I can't trust easily. I mean, you can't blame me really. I've grown up not trusting anyone. It's not your fault, I promise. I'm so sorry." A lone tear slipped, cascading down her cheek and leaving a trail behind.

"Hey, hey, it's alright. I don't mind. I said I'll wait for however long it takes. It's alright, sweetness." He got up and kneeled before her, his black jean covered knees rubbing against the sand. He squished her into his warm chest.

••••

Lillian's thoughts for the millionth time turn back to Dan. The way his lips spoke the words and the way they fell effortlessly past his lips almost like a wonderful sin, it made her heart swell and her body scold her for her enjoyment.

Lillian snapped back into reality when Selene gave her a questioning look. "Sorry, what'd you say?"

"I said, let's go to Pizza Hut. I'm starving."

"When are you not hungry?" Lillian giggled as Selene shook her disapprovingly.

"I'm just always bored and boredom equals num nums."

Selene suddenly stopped with a gasp causing Lillian to worriedly stop and ask her what's wrong. Selene cradles her stomach trying to hold her evil laughs that was full of mischief.

"What's going on?" Lillian shyly mumbles, hidding behind Selene as they catch bystander's attention.

"Oh, you're going to hate me for this." With a confused look, Lillian is pushed over towards a nearby store.

Lillian's eyes widen in realization when she sees what's around her. Her heart pounds rapidly in her chest making her gulp in fear.

"You look like you've never seen a lingerie shop before." Lillian shakes her head repeatedly but Selene only crosses her arms, completely ignoring Lillian. "Look, we'll get something for you and your gonna love it. Consider it a gift from me but you'll be paying for it, obviously."

"You're not gonna get anything."

"Oh, no. Who do I have to impress? Plus my mom will kill me if she ever found it." Selene's smile turns into a mischievous one. "But you on the other hand have Mr. Handsome to impress. I know you said you never did it, but when ya do you'll have the prefect outfit."

Lillian gulps. But she knew a part of her wanted to get something from the shop. Even if Dan never sees it, it will at least make her feel good. So with a deep breath, Lillian gives in.

"Ahh! Look at this!" Selene screeches gaining all the ladies around them's attention. Lillian embarrassingly hides her face behind her hand, pretending to scratch her temple.

Selene holds up a sheer black bra and panties. Wide-eyed, Lillian shook her head repeatedly. She bit her lip, now not trusting Selene to be slow with her and start off with less revealing clothing.

"Okay. How about this? Orange will make your eyes pop. Our art teacher said opposite colors brings attention to each other. So, Dan won't be able to keep his eyes off when you wear this." Selene held up a lacy peachy-orange bra and panties.

Lillian took it in her and smiled at it, liking the looks of it. "I like it."

"Good. Now, let's get you a one-piece. You know, so you'd have options." Selene skipped her way to another section making Lillian giggle and attempt to copy her but stop the second she saw people staring, but she still kept a shy smile on.

"Hm?" Selene held up a peach corset. "I don't like peach with your skin." Tossing the garment, she picked up a blue one. "Hot mama. You'll look so good in this. I hope you know you'll be modeling for me later."

"What? No."

Selene raised her eyebrows playful yet with warning, somehow she never failed to have a playful spark to her that made anybody want to be her friend.

"Oh, come on. You need to be more confident. You'll look so sexy in these clothes, so, don't worry. Have you ever seen Paper Towns?"

"No?" Lillian said confusedly.

"Well, there's this thing that the main character says; you look better when you're confident and less when you're not. Okay that's not perfectly the same as what she says but you get it." Selene sighed and spoke more sincerely after noticing Lillian still being uncomfortable. "I'm your friend. I love you and I won't judge you."

Lillian stays quiet, not wanting Selene to see the scars all over her body that has adorned her skin since being a child. She didn't want Selene to have to see it. Selene was pure and Lillian wanted her to stay that way. She never wanted to see the spark in her eyes leave the way hers did.

"Alright. You don't have to." Selene brought Lillian into her arms in an embrace.

"Thank you." Lillian squeezed Selene harder, the thought of her playful aura leaving had Lillian almost in tears but she kept them at bay not wanting to ruin their outing.

"It's alright. Now let's pay for these. You'll look breathtaking in the blue and orange garments. Oh! Let's get you stalkings to match."

After getting two stalkings that matched each of the lingeries they paid and went to get pizza. They laughed and talked all night until it was time to leave.

Entering her house, Lillian saw the lights already opened and Dan sat on the couch looking up at her with a bright smile.

"Come on, sweetheart. Been waiting all night. Let's go to bed and you can tell all about your day."

Her swelled with happiness at finally having a stable and happy life. But things don't always stay so perfect...

A/N

Oh, dear god I love Selene! Anybody else, hands up. I love Lillian too but she's like the cute one and Selene is like the excitement in the mix. Oh and those lingeries are definitely going to be used in the story.