IX

Gerard remembered Frank's twenty-fifth birthday like it was yesterday. How couldn't he have? It was the first time he had to talk him out of suicide. It was also the last.

It all started with Gerard nearly forgetting about his boyfriend's birthday. Maybe if he hadn't been so busy with work, maybe if Frank had fucking reminded him, maybe if he hadn't started drinking again...

Maybe if he wasn't busy cheating and trying to keep them from seeing each other.

Gerard knew that was the problem. He knew it was a mistake to text Lindsey that night when Frank was out for work. He knew that Frank was excited for his fucking birthday and he ruined it.

But Lindsey had always been a good friend, and maybe if Frank had figured out that they were more than that before it was too late, he would have left before it had happened.

It was a shame Frank was too busy destroying himself from the inside out. Such a shame that Gerard couldn't handle the pressure Frank was putting on him. Such a shame that he did the exact thing he promised Frank he'd never do. He cheated.

So of course Frank had come home that night, exhausted but excited. It was a good day, and he couldn't wait to give out candy and dress up like he and Gerard always did. He was greeted with a dark and quiet house. Frank slipped off his shoes, making his way to the bedroom. He had the worst fucking feeling he knew exactly why his boyfriend wasn't in the kitchen, cooking dinner for them like he always was.

To his dismay, he was right. Lindsey was getting ready to leave. They never fucking noticed him, and Frank retreated to the living room.

Frank pretended for the rest of the night that everything was okay. Gerard didn't suspect a thing.

It was only midnight that Gerard had to physically yank Frank away from the bottle of sleeping pills sat on the bathroom counter. Gerard thought Frank was fine after he talked him out of it. He went back to sleep after that, thinking he was fine. There was no way he couldn't have.

After all, Frank was a good actor.

---------------------------------------

HAH 

xoSoph