Chapter 5

Zade's POV

"Your boyfriend's waiting and I have a hot bath calling my name. Good night." With that jaw dropping send-off, Faith leaves me, standing alone in the hallway staring at the neon yellow sign indicating Women Only.

What the hell? Boyfriend?

A sucker-punch to the gut would be less surprising right now.

Kason saunters over, facial features a mix between concern and merriment. "You're catching flies man."

I snap my jaw shut, ruffled that my bodyguard and childhood friend caught me out of my element. Spastically, I whip a hand back and forth between us. "She thinks we are a couple. Us. The two of us!"

A moment of heavy silence strains the air before Kason claps me on the back. "Wow Z, you really know how to butter up a girl."

Disbelief rages inside me causing my stomach to curl. "I thought it was obvious who I was flirting with." The longer I continue to stare at the closed door like a lost puppy, the more confusion I feel. While I have some friends who 'bat for the same team,' I definitely prefer women. Not as many as the gossip rags would like to believe though.

Kason has to physically shove me in the direction of the men's locker room. "Just for future reference Z, I'm the man in our relationship."

My inner-teenager smarts back, belying my true 26 years. "Shut up idiot." Forcing the door open with more strength than necessary, it flies inward, narrowly missing another patron who is walking by. Apologizing briskly, I forgo a much needed shower, grabbing my gym bag and hauling ass out of FitNow. Kason trails me, scouting the parking lot for any stray paparazzi or zealous fans.

I barely make it past the first row of vehicles when a young boy's voice calls out in the night, "Mr. Parks. Mr. Parks."

I turn around hesitantly and recognize the little boy who had been sitting at the front desk earlier in the evening.

He skids to a stop in front of me, gravel spurting out in a cloud of dust, waving a blue and white piece of plastic in his right hand. "You forgot to pick up your access card from Sally."

Squatting down to his height, my eyes meet curious dark blue eyes almost obscured under a mop of curly brown hair. Holding out my hand, I shake his free hand before accepting the proffered item. "Thanks a lot. You saved me an extra trip back tonight."

Shrugging casually, the boy crosses his arms in front of his chest and smirks. "Anything for Ms. Faith's friend."

Covering a smile with a brief cough, I lean back on my heels, assessing the kid in a new light. He reminds me of a younger version of me: intelligent, curious, and perceptive. "What's your name son?"

Straightening up tall and proud he states "Asher sir. I be Ms. Faith's best bud." His smile is missing a couple teeth but there is a dimple peeking out just waiting for the girls to notice. Yep, this kid is gonna to be a heart breaker in a few years.

"Well, I'm Zade and I'ld like to be Ms. Faith's friend but I'm not sure how she feels about that." I lean closer as if I am inviting Asher in to share a secret. "Think you could put a good word in for me seeing that you're her best bud?"

Shrewd eyes scrutinize me for a moment before that sly grin resurfaces. "How 'bout you text her and tell her yourself?"

My mouth quirks up to one side sheepishly. "Well, she hasn't given me her number. You wouldn't happen to have that info would you?"

Asher cocks his head to the side, tapping one hand against his chin. "Hmm, I might if ten bucks appeared."

Darn, the kid is sharp.