Chapter 10

Faith's POV

I slam down the phone, grateful for Mr. Cage's Florida business trip. Out-of-the-office equates to not witnessing my display of aggravation toward inanimate objects.

"That's the third time your tow guy has called today," I vent, "how is it that I'm the unlucky one to receive all of his calls?"

Rhea brandishes her stapler in the air. "Transfer him over to me next time and I'll let him know exactly where he can shove his tow truck."

I tap my blue ink pen repeatedly against the silver and turquoise picture frame sitting at the corner of my desk. The picture is a family shot, taken when I graduated high school.

"The weirdest part of the whole day is that he wanted to harass me, not you." The lines creating grooves in Rhea's forehead deepen at my proclamation.

"I'm really sorry Faith. I should have told him off ages ago."

Though I agree with the statement, none of this is Rhea's fault. Dirk is the one who has the audacity to ask personal questions such as 'how many siblings do you have' and 'what did you eat for lunch?' Then, if that isn't intrusive enough, he becomes irate when I turn down his dinner invitation.

"I'm just glad he hasn't actually stepped foot into the office. I'd hate to have to call security for the first time ever."

"No need for that," Rhea states enthusiastically. "I'll stab him with my stiletto then knee him where the sun don't sing."

I chuckle at her willingness to embrace violence at the expense of her pristine Jimmy Choos. "I think you mean where the sun don't shine."

She waves away my correction. "Same difference. Perfectly clear message."

"Who is stabbing people?" Sam inquires as he saunters into the room carrying a bundle of wires and cords, a tool kit tucked underneath his arm.

I'll never understand how IT people create tech miracles out of copious amounts of chaos.

"Just an annoying gnat named Tow Toad Dirk." Rhea spits out the nickname, poison dripping from each syllable.

Sam bobs his head head up and down, his bleach-blond mop of curls falling into his eyes and flopping over his ears. "Never make a chick mad. Check."

"Mad is not the correct term for how I'm feeling right now IT squirt." Rhea's rudeness causes the Miss Manners inside me to cringe in shame. Thankfully, Sam appears oblivious.

"Not mad. Got it." Sam circumvents Rhea's desk and walks over to Mr. Cage's door. "I need to do some work in here, can you let me in Faith?"

Always prepared, I keep a master key in the bottom drawer of my desk in case of emergencies or instances such as this. Opening the door to Mr. Cage's inner sanctum, I allow Sam to scurry by before I follow. I stoop down and pick up a small red notebook which has fallen out of Sam's back pocket.

"Here, you dropped this." He snatches the book from my grasp, stuffing it away before I can read the words printed on the cover.

"Thanks." Going behind Mr. Cage's desk, Sam begins to work his IT magic on the computer system.

I take a step backwards, prepared to return to my desk, when Sam calls out to me. His voice is deep and rough, reminding me of a chain smoker. "Faith, wait."

Cocking my head in his direction I ask politely, "Is there something I can help you with?"

He rubs the back of his neck with one hand, a slight tick apparent in his left cheek. "Was wondering if you have plans tonight? Maybe I could take you to dinner?"