Chapter 7

Dedicated to @BrittNLeigh If it weren't for her unwavering support this chapter would have stayed in the hole it was digging for itself. Many thanks!

Chapter 7 Zade's POV

The clank of weights hitting the rack signal I'm near the end of a grueling hour session with Natasha. Wiping my brow with the edge of my gray t-shirt I sneak a peek-ok, maybe the seventh or eighth peek-toward the black clock hanging above the drinking fountain.

Only ten til' 7.  Are the hands moving backwards? A sloth half asleep moves faster.

I run my hand down the side of my face, two-day stubble rubbing like sandpaper against my palm. A quick sniff test indicates I need to splash on some Armani Code before Fatih arrives. 

Taking note of my preoccupation with the time, Natasha smiles mischievously. "I didn't realize I was boring you Mr. Parks. Perhaps a sixth set of burpees would stimulate your enthusiasm." 

"No!" I shake my head emphatically to enunciate my point. My perception of any physical abilities I had thought to possess has been obliterated; legs shaking like a leaf in a thunderstorm; sweat coating me like a second skin.

Burpees are firmly placed in the 'I loathe this' category.

Natasha's phone vibrates from its place by the speakers. I motion for her to answer while I inhale some needed oxygen.  She glances quickly at her messages, her perpetually bright smile quickly morphing into a frown. Her light brows push together high upon her forehead as she bites down hard on her bottom lip. 

"Faith is stuck at work 'till 7:30. She won't be coming in tonight."

I exhale audibly, dissatisfaction leaving a sour aftertaste in my mouth.

"She work late a lot?" I pose the question casually, hoping to mask my disappointment. Natasha shoots me a look full of commiseration as she walks over to me, handing me a towel and my Yeti.

"I've been on her for months to ask for more help in the office but she blows it all off, claiming she will lose her job if she brings up any suggestions for improvement." Natasha scoffs, letting me know precisley how she feels about that excuse.

Joined by Kason, the three of us walk toward the locker rooms, delicately navigating the patrons eager to tell me how much they love Long Way to Eden.

It's 7:10 before I'm dressed and standing at the front desk, confirming my training schedule. I commit to Monday, Wednesday, Friday for the next two months pending any out of town trips I have to make to L.A.

Hitching my sizable gym bag over my left shoulder I turn to leave, only to be stopped by a slim hand gripping my shirt sleeve.

"Do you like Chinese?" Natasha's voice is laced with hesitation although the determined glint in her eyes bores into me.

Shrugging my shoulders I nod once, cautious not to appear bewildered. Natasha has a boyfriend- Andrew or Andy. No wait, Andre. Yeah, that's his name. Natasha said she filled his briefcase with Andes mints once as a joke. I bet those were a hit among his co-workers.

Natasha continues on, undaunted by the lack of emotion in my face. "There's this amazing place called Mr. Fu's on Harley Street. If you are in the mood for some fried rice or egg rolls, well, Faith's office building just happens to be located two blocks East-Bryson and Cage Associates."

My eyes widen a fraction before I grin like a kid whose just met the genie giving away free wishes. "I love Chinese."

Returning my grin, Natasha winks in my direction. "Shrimp fried rice, extra soy sauce."