Chapter five: A New Day

I awoke at the first sight of dawn accidentally. But to be fair, the sunlight shone through the window in the door, right into my face. I got up and looked around the room, everyone else was asleep. Guess I'm on my own. I figured that everyone would be hungry so I decided that I would get some food together. Before I left I crafted a stone sword and stone pickaxe.

[  ][□][  ]      [□][□][□]
[  ][□][  ]      [  ][|][  ]
[  ][|][  ]      [  ][|][  ]
Sword         pickaxe

I went outside to start my hunt and discovered that mobs could still live as the light was not bright enough to kill zombies and skeletons and make spiders neutral. I skillfully killed the skeletons that were around to get their bones, which I could use to make bonemeal.
After those skirmishes I looked for animals. Most passive mobs dropped meat or other goodies, which was good in our case. I went into the forest as I knew that it could be teeming with wildlife, which I quickly confirmed that it was. I found herds of sheep, pigs and cows. Perfect. I thought.
Drawing my new sword I went to my dirty, and mean, yet necessary work. I hunted the sheep first, both for their wool and their mutton. It was one of the harshest things I've ever done to another living thing that did nothing to deserve it. Their dying noises will haunt me forever.
After every animal I had hunted I said I'm so sorry, to myself. To the animals. To everyone I ever hurt. I might get very angry at times but I was also a moral person too.
After the last animal I could see... expired, I couldn't help myself and collapsed and started to cry. I don't cry very often, but when I do, I have one hell of a reason to do so. Kneeling in the middle of the forest, crying to myself, I thought of all the people I had hurt in my lifetime. So many people. I thought to myself.
"I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry." I said aloud in between sobs to no one, but also to eveyone.
No more. I won't hurt anyone else. Not unless I absolutely have to. I promised to myself.

I pulled myself together and made my way back to camp. I built a few furnaces at one of the outside crafting tables so I could cook the meat I got.

[□][□][□]
[□][  ][□]
[□][□][□]
Furnace

I placed them down and started to cook the meat I collected. As it cooked I made some beds from the wool I got and some wood.

[  ][  ][  ]    (blank squares mean wool)
[□][□][□]   (full squares mean wood)
[■][■][■]
Bed

I was half way through cooking all the meat when Kelly and Allison awoke and came outside.
"What the?" Allison said, confused by what she saw.
"Surprise." I said fake cheerfully. "I made breakfast." I hoped they couldn't tell that I cried recently.
"Nice." Kelly commented.
"It'll all be done soon so maybe we should get everyone up in a bit." I said.
"Right." Allison said as she cracked her knuckles.
"Not right now, but soon." I said.

20 minutes passed and once all the food was done, the two girls went around and woke everyone up. Everyone went outside and was greeted by amazing fragrances and me. "Breakfast is served!" I said, secretly holding back the pain of what I had to do to get it. There were mixed thanks and congratulations from everyone.
"Wow!"
"Cool!"
"It smells so good!"
"Thanks Jace!"
"I hope it didn't trouble you."

I said 'you're welcome' to everyone and gave everyone a fair amount of food each. They all ate and I noticed there was happiness in the air. One single act had changed everyone's mood. I was adding a bunch of jobs to the Minecraft Resumè I made in my head. So far I had down:
Teacher,
Builder,
Leader,
Guardian,
Fighter,
Chef,
...hunter.
I wasn't too proud of the last one but I knew it was a necessary job. But that didn't mean I had to like it. I then realized I had to focus if I was to have any chance of getting anyone to, and out of, the End in one piece, so I banished the thought to the back of my mind, at least for now.