chapter eighteen: Aftermath

I stood there on the edge of the dragon's bedrock nest, heart racing and hands nearly trembling, surrounded by hundreds of glittering yellow and green experience balls: the reward for anyone who defeats the Ender Dragon in battle.

"We did it!" someone yelled. A joyous cheer rang out across the End following this announcement. I didn't join in the cheer, I just stood there dumbfounded, exhausted and suddenly tired. The dragon was stronger than I had thought, but through teamwork and a little luck, we managed to prevail. I sheathed my sword and put away my shield, not needing them anymore. I looked down into the dragon's nest, which had transformed into the portal we needed to use to leave. It, like the portal that had taken us to the End, was that starry void-like field that also surrounded the whole End. We're so close now, I thought, So close to going home.

I sat down on the edge of the nest and put my head between my knees. The battle with the dragon had taken something out of me. I realized then just how lucky I was. I had come face to face with death and stared it right in the eye until it looked away. I managed to cheat death from the void by mere luck and continued to fight right after. Not many people are capable of that. In fact, as far as I knew, I was the first user in Minecraft's history to escape the void, a fact that made me suddenly proud.

A hand settled on my shoulder. I looked up and found London at my side, her iron armour shimmering in the dim light light of the End. Her eyes portrayed a shock but also a happiness I had never seen before in her. "You okay?" She asked. I nodded. "Just clearing my head. I'm fine."

She reached up and felt my face, studying me as if I was someone else.
"I can't believe you're alive," She said, "I thought you were gone when you fell over the edge."
"I wouldn't abandon you now, not when we were so close." I replied.
"It's good you didn't, otherwise we likely wouldn't have beaten the dragon." She let her hand fall to her side before continuing. "We couldn't have done any of this without you."

I smiled. It made me happy to know that I made such an impact on others' lives. Just then our class crowed around us, jovial and excited. They slapped me on the back, cheered and applauded, congratulating the 'hero' of the battle.
They recounted moments in the battle that were epic, and chanted my name when Dom and some of the others hoisted me into the air. I glanced at London, who was laughing uncontrollably, looking positively happy. I laughed too.

When they finally put me down, the others were still cheering. I put my hands up, hushing the crowd. Once they were all finally quiet, I regarded them with pride. "We did it guys. We can go home."
They made a small cheer at this but soon fell silent to listen to me again. I turned to look at the portal, then back at my class. "Who wants to go first?" I asked.

My class gathered around the portal and quickly began to jump in, anxious to return home. Soon, only London and me remained in the End. She approached to stand next to me next to the portal. She took my hand in hers. "This test may have been hard," she said, "But it was worth it."
"Totally worth it." I replied. She turned and faced me. Our eyes locked.

"I love you Jace." She said, smiling. Her smile was like an enchanted diamond. Both London, and what she said, took my breath away. My heart soared with joy.
"I love you too." I responded, and then embraced her in my arms and kissed London. It was amazing. I had never felt so alive in my life.

When we finally released each other, we were still smiling. "You ready to go home?" I asked her. She nodded gently. "Then let's go."

We stepped up onto the nest and stood before the portal. I glanced up at London and took her hand. She looked up to me.
"On three." I said. She nodded again.

"One..." I said.

"Two..." She said.

Then both of us, "Three."

And we stepped into the portal together.