Chapter eleven: New Users

I got up in the morning with renewed enthusiasm and vigor. After the heartwarming moment I shared with London last night, the two of us went back to sleep, and, strangely, I slept good after that. When I got up, Kelly and Ally were chatting outside with Buck, another friend of ours. Buck is a bit like me in terms of height and size and that we both like being active, but that's where the resemblance ends. He's nearly a full year older than me and also wears glasses, which I don't, but has probably a similar IQ level to me. At least, for real life matters that is; his level of intelligence for Minecraft would be DWARFED by mine.

Petra was awake and outside too, leaving just London and me in the house. I walked towards the door and found London leaning over the crafting table on the 'west' wall. She noticed me and looked up and at me. "We tell no one of last night, ok?" She asked. I guess London didn't want the whole 'Jace and London' tease fest to start up again.
I couldn't blame her.

"Yeah, you got it." I replied. London finished what she was making on the crafting table, which was an axe, and then asked with a wink, " So... I'll catch ya later?"

"You bet," I said casually, "I don't plan on doing anything crazy today anyway." That was the truth; I wasn't planning going down into the mines again, or do anything super crazy today. I was probably just going to help make our houses better.

But then, I heard a shriek come from outside. It sounded like Kelly or Ally.

I spun my head towards the door lightning quick, back to London just as quick, who had a look of fear about her, and gave her a look that said, Outside, and we both took off running for the door. I barely paused to open the door, I just flung it open and kept on running, London right behind me.

I did a quick look around of our camp, and found all our friends gathered at the other side of our camp, near the forest edge. I ran for them. As I neared I slowed to a walk, and I saw Buck and figured he could help. "Buck what happened?" I asked. He didn't answer, he just pointed toward the forest. Oh for the love of Notch... I thought and shoved my way through the crowd.

Once I was through I finally came face to face with what was making such a fuss... and I did NOT like it. I'm not even going to try and make this child friendly: when I saw it I literally said, "ohhhhhh shit," under my breath.

Before me and my friends stood nearly a half-dozen users with powerful armour and weapons, looking almost like they were itching for a fight. But it was kind of hard to tell seeing as they were regular users, who wore no emotions. The lead one pulled out an enchanted diamond sword and pointed it at me. "You. All of you. You no longer deserve to play this test." He said.

"And why is that?" Dom asked, who stood off to my left.

"Because you don't deserve the reward for winning this stupid test." The lead user responded snidely.

"And what makes you think you do?" I demanded with and edge to my voice.

"Because me and my boys here," He gestured to the other users around him, "Are going to get us some goods with that money."
I was confused for a moment by what he meant, and then I realized it. They were going to use the reward for the test to buy drugs. Oh hell no. Not today, not on my watch.

"And judging from looking at you guys, that reward is as good as ours." He continued cockily.

That set me off.

I pulled out the iron sword I made a while back and held it at the ready. "You want that reward... you're gonna have to kill me." I growled angrily.

The other users drew their weapons too and readied themselves for combat. "That's the point." The lead user said to me.

I glanced over to Dom and nodded my head towards the houses, trying to tell everyone to back off and give me some space. He understood and got everyone to back away from me and the users. A silence fell over the land as five users stood staring at one lonely defender: me.